Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Iron Question? >

Another Iron Question?

Another Iron Question?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 PM

I have an iron from the late 70's that still works fine. I don't use the steam since it squeals after being dropped a couple of times. I had a Oliso for about a yr. when the feet started popping in & out at any time, even while ironing. 2 yrs ago I purchased the Panasonic 360 at the AQS show in GR & love it. It is wonderful not to have the cord to deal with. Since it has a charging base you don't have the same lifting from the heal so your wrist doesn't get stressed.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Rowenta users- can you figure out what's breaking on them? It seems to me that the cords get a short in them.

As far as the auto shut offs go, I had to transplant one from one Rowenta into another one. It seems like you could take it out if you don't like them.
I have a Rowenta that is about 15 years old. The cord got a short so I took it to the local vacuum/sewing shop and had the cord replaced. It wasn't very expensive to have done.

Because of the occasional sputter of water (user error) and the cord dragging back across my quilting projects, I just bought the Panasonic 360 cordless one. I really do love it so far. I am also taking the suggestion of a misting bottle of water, rather than putting it in my iron.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:47 AM

For pressing seams and blocks, I love the travel Rowena. I keep it next to me by the sewing machine and my snack table pressing board. It does get hot, doesn’t shut off. The only drawback is it needs to be refilled often (as it is a travel iron). It’s not time efficient for bigger pieces
Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 AM
mac

I have had 4 Rowenta irons and another one that I got from my mother-in-law after hers started leaking. I had my first Rowenta for over 20 years before it started to leak. Each Rowenta I bought after lasted a shorter time than the one before it. I finally stopped buying Rowenta after I read that they had switched to internal plastic parts and that is why they leaked faster than the older models. Although the last two irons sort of 'blew-up' and were unusable, I finally threw away all the Rowentas.

I purchased an Oliso, it started smoking and shorted out the first time I used it. I sent it back and they refunded my money. Thank goodness, that was an expensive iron.

I still have my mom's non-steam iron, that is probably as old as I am (68) and it still works really well and just use a spray bottle for steam. I use a lot of starch when quilting and this old iron works well with that and when it gets gunked up from the starch, it is a breeze to clean. There are no steam holes to have to clean, just a solid plate that cleans easily.

The only steam iron I have right now is a cheap Black and Decker that I bought for $10 and it has lasted so far for 5 years with no problems. Just goes to show that a cheap iron can last as long as an expensive one.

Last edited by mac; 07-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM

I have an Oliso too. I don't use steam either, just a spray bottle. So I can't comment on that.
However, I have LOTS of problems with the front foot (at the pointy nose end) of the iron. I doesn't retract all the way. It snags the fabric and crumples it under the iron. It irons in more wrinkles than it irons out. I've had it for a little over a year, & I would not buy another one.
I have replaced it with a Panasonic cordless, and a small Dritz Mighty Steam iron. I like them both.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:43 PM

I have three Rowentas. All 3 are different sizes and weights. I found 1 of them at thrift store, one at a antique type store with label barely used, and one at Goodwill. I paid approximately $5-6 for each. Only one did I have to have repaired and is like a brand new one now. They are older models made in Germany. I love all 3 of them. They don't leak, they get hot, and are very nice irons. I am satisfied and have no need to venture out! Occasionally I see a Rowenta at the thrift stores, and I always have to pick it up, see if it is Made in Germany, etc. They do still pop up now and then. I know buying them this way is a risk, but so far I'd say I've been quite lucky.

Last edited by vschieve; 07-31-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Look at the one that Peggy Saggers from Silhoutte Patteren uses. It sit on a base and she says the only time she's had any drippage which for some seems to be a problem is when she has overfilled the reservoir. Its around 100, Shoe plates are also good to put on the sole of your iron, you can then iron any fabric with any chance of damaging the fabric
Old 08-05-2018, 01:30 PM

I wasn't aware Maytag made irons...you learn something every moment. :-)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Bought my Maytag iron at Sam's Club. It was a good iron and I was happy with it. My DGD going out of state to collage in two weeks didn't have a iron and loved mine so i gave it to her and went back to Sam's to get another but they didn't have them anymore. So I am iron shopping again.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
Bought my Maytag iron at Sam's Club. It was a good iron and I was happy with it. My DGD going out of state to collage in two weeks didn't have a iron and loved mine so i gave it to her and went back to Sam's to get another but they didn't have them anymore. So I am iron shopping again.
try amazon. I got a Maytag recommended by someone on the forum and I like it