Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another issue with Joanns coupon >

another issue with Joanns coupon

another issue with Joanns coupon

Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 AM

I have had so many irons it has become a real joke. The last Rowenta set off all the smoke detectors when it burned inside. What a horrible smell. I go through the cheap ones like crazy and finally asked Santa for a commercial one. I ordered it just before the blizzard. It is what tailors use with a water tank sitting above on a shelf. It had better last a long time. It cost less than all the Rowentas I have bought over the years!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 AM

I know what the iron is like that you mentioned. A friend of mine has one which she got at Wal-Mart a few years ago. She said it wasn't greatly expensive; like less than $10.00.
I looked at Wal-Mart but didn't find one. Thought I would go online before paying the price JoAnn's has on theirs.
Mariah.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
You might try going to a thrift store for an iron. I found mine for $5. It's not a Rowenta, but it does the same job as one.
I also buy all my Rowenta irons at the thrift store, around this neck of the woods they run between $10 and $14. But.... they are in great shape, just like new. Just keep looking. I always scan the area where they are locate - just in case. I like to keep on in reserve - you never know!!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
My small iron that I use next to my sewing machine quit working, and I really need to replace it. I wasn't crazy about the one I had, but it worked and was better than nothing. Joanns carries the rowenta travel iron for 54.99, way too much for me, but I had a 40% off coupon, if it wasn't on sale. Yay, it wasn't, BUT, in the fine print, irons are excluded from using the coupon. I thought for sure someone here on the board had said they bought an iron using a coupon. Is there a chance that a coupon will come available sometime that will allow me to use it for an iron, or are all their coupons basically the same? Thanks for your help.
Please be aware that several folks on the board, me included, have had a lot of trouble with Rowentas leaking. I had three top of the line and will never buy another one.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM

JoAnns make me so mad they give u coupons then they put everythingon sale so u can't use them. I got a Rowenta at Joannes and the lever where you change it from regular to steam doesn't work. I think I'm going to buy a cheap one they seem to last longer
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM

Like you, I haven't had good luck with Rowenta. When this one goes, which will be soon, I am going to try some other brand.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks for starting this post. I've enjoyed reading about the different irons. DH bought me an expensive Black and Decker several years ago. I know I haven't dropped it, one of the kids may have and not tell, but it leaks so much I can't put water in it any more. I just use it as a dry iron and have a misting water bottle next to it.

I'm going to look at Lowe's next time we go and check out the Sharks there. Never thought of buying an iron there! Thanks for the iron critiques!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Most times you are right about the coupons, they do not allow them to be used on irons.
I however right after Christmas had a coupon for 50% off any one item even if it was a sale item. Well the irons were 20% off and then I used the 50% off coupon and so I was able to purchase a Rowenta iron that was $125 for $47.99.
Don't give up and always check the fine print as miracles do happen. Point of interest on the Rowneta irons look for the packaging that says made in Germany as they are a much better iron and I have had no problems as opposed to those made in China which I have had problems with i the past and had to return to Rowenta.
Good luck
Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 AM

This seems to be a typical Joann ploy. I wanted to buy a GO there, but what do you know! On the coupon in very small print were the words 'GO not included'. I had the GO all the way up to the counter to buy, where the clerk with a very large magnifying glass (just kidding :-) ) showed me the disclaimer. I just left the Go sitting on the counter, turned away and left, saying, 'Well that's typical'.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
My small iron that I use next to my sewing machine quit working, and I really need to replace it. I wasn't crazy about the one I had, but it worked and was better than nothing. Joanns carries the rowenta travel iron for 54.99, way too much for me, but I had a 40% off coupon, if it wasn't on sale. Yay, it wasn't, BUT, in the fine print, irons are excluded from using the coupon. I thought for sure someone here on the board had said they bought an iron using a coupon. Is there a chance that a coupon will come available sometime that will allow me to use it for an iron, or are all their coupons basically the same? Thanks for your help.
I have learned with coupons from anywhere [in my experience] alot of it depends on the cashier...I have taken coupons to Joanns and have had no problems, then also experienced the complete opposite.
BTW....I have a cheapo protector silex iron & love it for 7 years now.