Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Pressing Questions - Shine spot.

Unhappy Another Pressing Questions - Shine spot.

So I have 7 different irons in this house. Husband keeps looking at them and shaking his head. One more and I may get committed. The reason: shiny thick points. So let's say you put a 4 patch together - the middle seam has a think point. Sometimes I'm getting a shine spot there. I've tried with and without steam - doesn't seem to matter. Turning the iron very low all the way to the cotton setting - again no difference. With and with out various starches and Best Press - also didn't matter. I'm pressing not ironing. I pick up and put down. Same problem on the thicker spot.

Grrr... Made myself a big board, which resides on a table. Tried a regular ironing board and my portable June Tailor board same issues, so I don't think it's the board. I know I'm being very picky. You won't be able to see most of these little spots from a galloping horse, but still... it just bugs me. Any ideas why I'm getting that slight spot? Anyone else getting that little spot? OK, so I know I must be "melting" it, but how do I get it to stop?

I've got one block for a sampler quilt in the pictures that had to be put together on the bias and I used a light red and it shined up horrible. The ladies at the quilt shop said - just leave it... you won't notice when it's quilted, but you know it bugs the heck out of me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

- Rose

does it still show up after you launder it? It's cotton, you can't melt it. Do you prewash? Maybe it's something in your detergent or other laundry additive? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Maybe try more pad under your ironing board cover? I'm just guessing here - hope somebody has a better answer.

When you're pressing, could it be you're leaving the iron too long on the fabric?
    I usually press, lift, press, lift not just pressssss.

The marks are being caused by either the very hot iron reacting with the finishing chemicals if you haven't pre-washed, or any slight residue of soap if you have. It's really like a scorch, but will more than likely disappear when you wash it.
    The best way to avoid this is by using a pressing cloth on 'lumpy' pieces - either a piece of thin muslin or a store bought one. I use a store bought one that is made up of some kind of mesh fabric so I can see what's underneath.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

i have the same problem so you are not alone. I am hoping they was out when laundered. I have tried many different setting as you and have come up with the same results.

Ok - I haven't tried a pressing cloth. I have one somewhere. I'll have to have a look. If I can't find it, I'll head over to JoAnn's tomorrow. I haven't been pre-washing(anymore), so that's my next thing to try too. I have a few older pieces I pre-washed, I'll dig those out as well.

At least I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm going to a quilt show today, so I will have a close inspection of the quilts hanging up.

I hope it washes out. I'm working on Farmer's Wife also and there is one block in there that has it. I don't want to add any more rows until I know for sure it will wash out, in case I have to make a new one of those as well. I didn't seem to notice this before. I've only been quilting for 2 years (in October) though and seem to be getting fussier and fussier about my work.
    - Rose

are you using fabric softener because that can cause discoloration as well.

OK>>>>> to me it looks like its high points.....is where you are getting the 'shine' where you have a thick seam ???? do you need to perhaps do some trimming so that everything is the same thickness ???? I made a quilt that had multiple points all coming together....had mega thickness....as 'stupid' as this is going to sound....I ended up hitting that area with a hammer to flatten out the area....worked like a charm

Sounds like someone is getting a wee bit fussy about an extremely minor detail. The hammer method solves that problem, as will trimming out some of the excess seam allowance in back. If someone notices that little spot she is looking way too close. If you are the one looking way too close, you will never be happy with your work.

It's a combination of what others have already said...the iron is 'melting' the finish/starch/sizing (not melting the fabric) on the high spots and the solution is a pressing cloth...which can be any washed piece of fabric. Dampen one of your spots and see if it's gone when it dries.

ETA: Hammering high spots is not healthy for fabrics or anything made from them. Instead, press your seams so they lie flatter and don't bunch up. You'll get that shine on any spot that's higher than one layer of fabric, so hammering won't solve the problem anyway. Why break threads trying?
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-20-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

If you are brave, you could also try grading the seams a bit. That looks to me to be the cause of your worry...the seams are too thick (plus all the other things mentioned)...but, even if you grade them, you'll still have a little area where you have all of them coming together. I would try it on a test piece before you try it on your quilt...Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Power Poster
    When I get a shiny spot from ironing a seam, I dampen(not too wet)a Q-tips with tap water and gently rub the spot. It erases the shiny spot for me.

If you press your seams open, instead of to the side, it can reduce a bit of the bulk. If you've been pressing the right side of the fabric, try pressing the wrong side, instead.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    When I get a shiny spot from ironing a seam, I dampen(not too wet)a Q-tips with tap water and gently rub the spot. It erases the shiny spot for me.
    Thank you Tartan! I will try this the next time it happens. Yes, I've had this happen to me and it bugs me too!!

You could press the seam so half goes one direction, and the other half the other way, It makes the center lie flatter and you won't have the problem with pressing. There's a good illustration here: http://antoinette-aquiltersjourney.b...ch-square.html
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Power Poster
    Sometimes using a squishier ironing pad helps, too. If pressing from the top, the bulk of the seams sinks into the padding and the top surface seems to be 'smooth'

Lovely block, by the way.

As far as getting 'fussier and pickier' as you go - I think that means that you have learned a lot and your skills have improved.

Blog Entries
    I think it's like someone has already said. If you look, there are at least 6 pieces of fabric probably pressed to the dark red. I would bet it is a high place pressed too hard.