Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another QFK's related question >

Another QFK's related question

Another QFK's related question

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

To all of you who have made quilts from their kits, what are you doing with the 3 4-patch blocks left over?

Right now I'm stowing them in a special pizza box (unused for the uninitiated.... :lol: ) until I either A) have enough of the same color combintions or B) can come up with a bright "light bulb in the bubble over my head" idea.

Any suggestions? (............and yes, I did check with QFK's and they told me to keep them. :thumbup: )
Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM

I would like to get some ideas too as I have been saving all the leftover pieces too. I thought about doing a scrappy with them when I have enough and send it to them.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

QFK = ???

Jan in VA
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
QFK = ???

Jan in VA
Quilts For Kids, sponsored by Downy Fabric Softener. They send you a pre-cut quilt kit and pattern, and ask that you put it together, quilt it to their specifications, and send one back of your own. Your own quilt can be their pattern or your own, but must fit their parameters that are listed on the pattern page. All specifications are to safeguard the childrens' health. The quilts are distributed to children in hospitals across the United States (maybe the world?). Go to quiltsforkids.org for more information.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I threw them into my scrap bin... I have a beautiful circus fabric with all of the bright primary colors in it, so these will all fit in perfectly. I will add some of my own fabric with them to make the scrappy 4 patches and borders :D:D:D
Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
QFK = ???

Jan in VA
Quilts For Kids, sponsored by Downy Fabric Softener. They send you a pre-cut quilt kit and pattern, and ask that you put it together, quilt it to their specifications, and send one back of your own. Your own quilt can be their pattern or your own, but must fit their parameters that are listed on the pattern page. All specifications are to safeguard the childrens' health. The quilts are distributed to children in hospitals across the United States (maybe the world?). Go to quiltsforkids.org for more information.

Around the world is correct...it is my understanding that a large number of quilts were sent to Haiti after the earthquake.
It makes me feel like I'm doing a little something for some of the children in this world who might need a little comfort to wrap themselves in, and maybe that child will be able to remember getting it when things might look dim in the future.

I've got more time than money, as as long as my scleroderma permits, I'm going to keep at it....

:thumbup: :-P :lol:
Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 PM

I've seen people piece them into the back of their quilt. You can also make pillows from the extra blocks. sometimes I give them away with the quilt as spare parts if repairs become necessary.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I've seen people piece them into the back of their quilt. You can also make pillows from the extra blocks. sometimes I give them away with the quilt as spare parts if repairs become necessary.
Great ideas! Thanks...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Love the idea of giving them for spare parts. I do something similar. I use some of each fabric and make a mini quilt block, binding and all to sew the label onto. Then I sew the whole thing to the back of the quilt. That way, if repairs are needed, the owner will have some of the fabric, and it will match because it has been washed the same number of times as the quilt.