Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another side note about "wash or don't wash." >

Another side note about "wash or don't wash."

Another side note about "wash or don't wash."

Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 AM

I mix washed and unwashed fabrics all the time as I use scraps right down to the smallest part and have no idea or not whether or when they've been washed. Never had a problem. I do use color catchers but even those seldom have much color to them after washing.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 AM

I make lots of scrappy quilts and they are all a mix of washed and unwashed. I have had no complains from those who were given the quilts. Only occasionally will I was fabrics and I must say usually those radiant reds! I inherited a deep and wonderful stash and I have NO idea what was washed or not washed. I just plunged in and used the fabric as presented.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 AM

Ditto what peaceandjoy said.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:33 AM

I mix washed and unwashed all the time. I was like you washing fabric until I read Marti Michell and she said to take a piece of wet fabric and lay it on a white paper towel. If it bleeds, wash it. So I stopped washing everything and when I start gathering my fabric for a quilt, it all goes in and I don't worry about it. BTW, I love not washing.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:08 AM

I used to wash every piece of fabric I bought but that seemed to be a lot of work & time because I always in a hurry to use it, it seems. Anyway what I have noticed from not washing my fabric my hands are dryer & itch a lot. Must be from the chemicals. If you have sensitive skin I would pre-wash.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I wash because of not knowing where the fabric has been. I've seen people wipe themselves with the fabric after coming in from the hot weather and being sweaty. So I pre-wash!
Just had to comment on this - My jaw dropped! It takes all kinds to make a world, doesn't it!

I usually pre-wash, but have sometimes mixed in bits that weren't washed and never noticed a problem. On the other hand, sometimes the problem with bleeding doesn't go away with a single wash. I had a dark green fabric that just kept tinting the color catcher over and over. I was washing it with every dark load we had for a month. I wash all of my quilts before using them or giving them to anyone because I like the crinkly look they get after washing and want to get rid of sizing and starch as well as possible allergens from pets or whatever. I guess it's going to crinkle whether you pre-wash your fabrics or not because the batting shrinks.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 PM

I feel so much better. Thanks, everyone!