Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another way to store fabric >

Another way to store fabric

Another way to store fabric

Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Great Idea for storage!!! you know I have always told my kids that the reason I have so much material is that I am saving for my retirement. So I will have something to do and not spend their money when I need some fabric LOL. But now I got my daughter hooked and she is buying what WE want and adding to my stash.
Margaret
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM

I am going to check for some of these at work. ..
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Envious, that's what I am. Would LOVE to have it, also your fabric.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by DeniseP
Leave it to a quilter to find the perfect way to organize. I have a big problem with organization: it doesn't happen. When I do clean it just gets messed up again. I can't sew if the sewing room is clean. I need the chaos!
Chaos? I have no clue what you mean! :wink:

What I didn't show you is what the rest of my sewing room looks like right now. I decided to re-organize everything so, starting at the wall with the stash, I pushed everything else to the other end. It's an unbelievable mess right now, as you can see below. Even I had to laugh when I looked at the pictures again! :) :)

Looks like mine all the time! So said we can't have anyone to dinner anymore!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 AM

What a wonderful system. A stash to be proud of , easy accessibility, colorful and convenient.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jacqstash
Can you still buy the other one? I live on Dracut,MA and would be willing to purchase it.
Last I heard, it was still available. Will PM you.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by peterparley
Could you please explain the "ruler method" for folding fabric. You have a great idea for your fabric what a NEAT way of storing it. Yea for you. Thanks for your help peter parley
It's basically using a quilting ruler, 5-6" wide, to fold the fabric. There are several previous threads that discuss this far better than I can explain it! Use the Search feature at the top to find "folding fabric." I think you'll like the method.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
Love the storage! Even though I have converted my linen closet into a stash closet half is still in boxes. Can never find what I am looking for! What a help it would be to have each color together. I experimented with the 24X6 inch ruler. It really does save space! Would like to make some dividers like yours so things would stay neater. Any suggestions?
About the only thing I can think of would be to look in the office supply section or closet organization of Wally World, or at a Staples, for dividers used on shelving. Some people invest in the boards for storing fabric. Wish I could suggest something else. Maybe someone on the Board has a better suggestion.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
QBeth, I'm moving to your house and taking my sewing machine and quilt pattern books with me. I'm packing right now. Expect me there soon! lol
You might have to fight your way thru the crowd at the door! _ :) _ Never knew my stash would draw such attention. I guess that's what I get for collecting fabric for 15 years!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by New knee
I like your innovativ idea for storing fabric. I, too, found a neat place for fabric by putting to use something not originally intended for that use. My son had a tall gun cabinet which he did not use; he removed the gun holders and put in shelves and now I have lots of storage space.
That sounds great! Not only is it relatively shallow so you can see everything, it comes with glass doors!! Good thinking!