Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another way to store fabric >

Another way to store fabric

Another way to store fabric

Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 AM

Perfect!! What a great idea and you can easily see exactly what you have.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM

QBeth. You really have a stash!! It all looks very nice.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Leave it to a quilter to find the perfect way to organize. I have a big problem with organization: it doesn't happen. When I do clean it just gets messed up again. I can't sew if the sewing room is clean. I need the chaos!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM

What a perfect way to store your fabrics--and btw I LOVE your stash!!!

Originally Posted by QBeth
Having had two foot surgeries, my foot doctor and I are well acquainted. Several month ago, I noticed that he'd emptied two "filing" units that were used to store medical folders (his office is going electronic). Many times, in many offices, I have coveted / yearned for / craved / ... one of these units!! When I saw his empty, I screwed up my courage, dreading what the cost might be, and asked if they were for sale??

Yes! They were for sale and at very reasonable prices. Long story short, I have space for only one in my sewing room (although I was tempted to buy the second unit and re-purpose it) so bought only one. _:thumbup: _

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry (hate this camera!). Is this cabinet to die for or what?!! When the fabric is folded using the ruler method, it fits perfectly. At this point, about half of it is folded correctly. The shelving unit to the right (which will be moved shortly) is what I was using but things kept toppling over and, because the shelves are deep, I kept putting other things in front of the fabric which completely defeated being able to see it at a glance. _ :-( _

So, what do you think of my solution??
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
QBeth. You really have a stash!! It all looks very nice.
In all that fabric, not one veggie pattern until you sent me some! Just sent you a PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Derla
I love your new system!! Maybe you should have bought several - bet there are one or two on this board that would have been more than happy to decrease your inventory of them.
Love your quilt!! Wish I was that good.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM

For everyone asking about dimensions.... I'm in work right now so don't have the cabinet in front of me. If you look at the picture of the cabinet, there are seven slots which I'm guessing are 7-8" wide based on the fact that I used a 5" wide ruler to fold the fabric and, 7 x 8" = 56" or about five feet wide. I believe it's just over six feet tall.

This particular cabinet can be broken into three pieces: the top, pull-out shelf, and bottom. It's heavy guage so it took all of my and Bob's strength to get the top and bottom pieces upstairs to my sewing room. The pieces screw together which makes the unit very sturdy.

As I said, the doctor still has another cabinet which, if I remember correctly, is about the same width but a little shorter. That one has dividers that can be repositioned on the shelves.

This was an opportunity that fell into my lap. But, I have to believe there'll be other similar cabinets some where out there. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Leave it to a quilter to find the perfect way to organize. I have a big problem with organization: it doesn't happen. When I do clean it just gets messed up again. I can't sew if the sewing room is clean. I need the chaos!
Chaos? I have no clue what you mean! :wink:

What I didn't show you is what the rest of my sewing room looks like right now. I decided to re-organize everything so, starting at the wall with the stash, I pushed everything else to the other end. It's an unbelievable mess right now, as you can see below. Even I had to laugh when I looked at the pictures again! :) :)

Yes, there is a sewing machine somewhere!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72951.jpe  
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Oops, pushed the button twice.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM

Very happy for you. Great idea.