Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique quilt >

Antique quilt

Antique quilt

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

I'd have had a heart attack!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 PM

I called him today and shamed him so bad that he decided to have it cleaned and gifted it to me. Since I know what to do with it more than he does. His grandmother made it. I really don't understand men.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM

The ANTIGUE QUILT has been professionally cleaned and now it belongs to me. I talked my friend into having the quilts cleaned and I paid him the cost for the cleaning. The cleaners' had to clean it in stages. Then, they sent it to a speciality laundry. It took three weeks to clean it. The cleaner's dated it around early 1900's. I'm going to take it to an appraiser, to see if they can dated it for me. I'll try to add pics of it to this thread.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Okay ladies, I finally got pic of the quilt. Let's see if I got the hang of this posting pic.

The whole quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222165[/ATTACH]

the hand sewn binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222166[/ATTACH]

the paint stain that couldn't be removed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222159.jpe   attachment-222160.jpe   attachment-222161.jpe  
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Wow! How pretty! So glad you saved it from a certain death.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Good for you..I think it's lovely !!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM

I am always in awe when I see an 'old piece of cloth' that someone lovingly made into a quilt. As a little girl, I watched my Grandmother sew the prettiest things.

You did good rescuing that quilt!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM

So glad the beautiful quilt has been rescued.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM

Cherrybsixty,

That quilt is pretty! I like the photo of the entire quilt on the chair. You have a very special quilt. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

i know some people tend to become quite (indignant) when they drive down the road and see an old quilt draped over the wood pile= or over the truck load of crap going down the road...but sometimes it is (nicer) to just look away-
once you give the quilt away what happens next is not up to you= you gave it away-
people get mad that they give a quilt and the recipient packs it away for safe keeping- they don't see it being used so they are upset- then others see them being used- the kids having a picnic= making a fort===enjoying their quilt---and again someone is mad...seems to me--non-quilters can not win-what ever they do with THEIR quilts is going to be wrong in some quilter's eyes.

about 9 years ago we were on a roll creating what we considered wonderful (beach-quilts) they were colorful, fun had summer time appliques- made special for picnics and the beach---
on the 4th of july my wonderful 5 year old granddaughter who absolutely loved her beach quilt was just laying it out at the park when some horribly rude-nasty- badge carrying quilt police person actually yanked the quilt up off the ground right out of this little girls hands (i was about 20 feet away carrying stuff toward her)
and felt justified to Yell at this little wide-eyed 5 year old..."WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER? SHE SHOULD BE BEAT FOR SUCH DISRESPECT..."i arrived at this point- reclaimed the quilt- and told the woman off- other people had witnessed the beginning of this drama and had called the police after all a little girl was ASSAULTED on the 4th of july in front of hundreds of people..
my granddaughter ran with her quilt back to the van---and still 9 years later- will not go anywhere in public with her wonderful beach blanket because she is so afraid of the "quilt police"
she uses it for a travel quilt in the car- or at home- but to go to the beach---never again===

when i see a quilt i made being used i am happy---it makes no difference to me if it's on the lawn with tea cups and the dog= if it's on a bed or yes- even if it's covering the wood pile (which is where one i gave one of my brothers years ago lives) they found it useful for what they needed it for- i made it and gave it away- it is no longer up to me