Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any body heard of Floriani Machine Embroidery Thread >

Any body heard of Floriani Machine Embroidery Thread

Any body heard of Floriani Machine Embroidery Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
I'm not familiar with the thread, but I've heard they have great stabilizers. They have a fusible, water-soluble that is supposed to be great for PITH projects. I've also heard that they only distribute to certain areas in the US. It's not widely available throughout.
I've used several of their stabilizers and like them as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM

I have heard of Floriana embroidery thread although I haven't used it. Several of my suppliers carry it. They also make stabilizers (as stated above) and they are suppose to be very good. I was sent a sample pack of it but haven't used any of it yet.

I agree that the thread is a little pricey.

I was also wondering if we can use embroidery thread for regular sewing. I have a good bit because I bought in sets. Embroidery thread is 40 wt. My Brother machines recommend only using 60 or 90 wt (actual bobbiin thread) in the bobbin however. BUT I do have some great vintage machines that would probably not mind a bit using the 40 weight in the bobbin at all. I just can't find any good All Purpose thread. Lots of my thread is older Coats & Clark but it is so hard to thread the needle with the All Purpose.

I would like to find some nice white and beige thread that isn't thick just for general sewing. I've tried Metrosene Plus, Guterman and Sulky plus Coats & Clarks. Every time I inquire of the sales clerks at Hancock's, they recommend these same brands (which is the ones they carry! LOL) I would be happy to order some in the basic colors if I could get a good recommendation! It's hard to order different brands on line for samples as you pay more in shipping than the thread costs. (sigh)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

I like their threads.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 AM

I use Floriana embroidery thread also. I bought a set of 50 spools from the dealer when I bought my machine. I cannot compare to other brands since this is all I have used but I have been very happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that I find most places I buy embroidery patterns from don't use this thread and don't list it as one of the thread choices in their color conversion charts. But I found it simple enough to just hold a spool up to the sample color and see if it is close. I find it has a really nice shiny look to it.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM

I really like it.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

I LOVE the Floriani thread. In fact I am slowly converting my
thread over to using that as my MAIN brand. I find that I have
less problems with it than I do with anything else.

Yes it is quite a bit more costly than say "THreadArt" brand,
but for me the less hassle, breakage, and work I have to do
the better mood I stay in.

This of course is just my personal opinion, so far I have about
1/3 (about 115-120) spools of the the Floriani thread.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Nanasmom
Have you looked at the Superior Thread line. They have a thread called, 'Bottom Line' that works good for this. They also have sample sizes or "Try Me" size for this reason. Their prices are also pricey but it is worth it to find good products

Last edited by roykat; 02-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
I'm not familiar with the thread, but I've heard they have great stabilizers. They have a fusible, water-soluble that is supposed to be great for PITH projects. I've also heard that they only distribute to certain areas in the US. It's not widely available throughout.

I love their stablizer -that is all I use. The thread is nice - but like Maderia best.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM

I have used it and like it..their stabilizers are great. I just went to a class today and bought their embroidery software..I can't wait to try it out.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Walter Florini is an embroidery pioneer and in the embroidery industry he is "the guy" and has been around longer than any of the other thread companies/embroidery supply companies. I would recommend any of his threads and especially his stablizers are awesome. They are pricey but again the joy of having so little hassles with the thread would be worth the extra price.