Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any fabrics you really don't like? >

Any fabrics you really don't like?

Any fabrics you really don't like?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 AM

I absolutely love batiks. I made a quilt for my DDIL and she just got it yesterday. She loves it. It has 10 different materials in it, and is very colorful. I also use batiks for blending. But I must be honest, I like everything. There are particular patterns I don't like, but I love bold, muted, bright, scrapy, just everything. Which is why I have to many in the works.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM

OMG Opposites attract. I love civil war, 1930's. I don't care for batiks or toilles. However, I'm willing to bet that I would love your quilts. 1970 is not my thing either. See we are alike!!! Viva la difference!
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Not a fan of the civil war or even the 1930's reproductions. Calico isn't my thing either. The 1970 style is definately out as well.

Love the batiks. Love blues and toilles.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM

When I first starting quilting, I wasn't into the batiks at all, now 15 years later, I can change my story. I love woodsey, country style prints and batiks work perfectly with them.
Not into the 30's, but did do two blocks for a challenge contest and raffle quilt but still won't place them in my collection of fabrics.
Until I started the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt, I would of never dreamed of purchasing Kansas Troubles or Thimbleberries fabrics, now love em.
The retro style, Laurel Birch, Bella and the others, wouldn't be for me, but I have two daughters that just love them.
I think when you see a pattern or fabric, it tells us something as quilters' where they belong. Like the 30's, batiks and civil war fabrics, etc..., they all have a place in a quilt, maybe not yours, but someone's. You can't go wrong with gift giving when it comes to the different varities fabric for your loved ones. We are lucky to be able to pick and choose that "special" fabric from the many choices we have.

Don't you just love quilting???
Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Well, I too am really fond of Civil war fabrics. Batiks are okay. I've don a few thing with them. I really dislike 1930's repoductions. Certain pattern look great with them but I'd never have them in my stash
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM

I have a real problem with the glittery fabrics. I buy them, and then never use them because if I did, I would worry about the effect of the fabric if the glittery wears out. I know that sounds silly, but I don't like to work that hard, to get an effect, and have it disappear. I hunt for floral stripes. They just call to me. Even though I have never made a green quilt, I am drawn to any green fabrics for some reason. My favorite color is pink, go figure.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
not a fan of Kaffe Fasset fabrics, i actually love to look at his stuff, but the fabrics are just...too much ...for me; busy, mind=boggling.
i do know a number of people who do not like working with batiks;
for me it's the busy, busy. i like to come up with the design, not have the fabric be the design.

and i really have to push myself to work with most novelties.
I have to agree about Kaffe Fassett. I generally like BRIGHT, so maybe ONE of his in a quilt. But when they're all piled up in one quilt, there's too much visual noise going on to appreciate the designs.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 PM

I like some batiks but not many nor do I like checks or plaids for quilts so your not alone with dislikes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM

I love all the fabrics I am using at the time - next time, I'll love all the fabrics I am using at the time. Those are my favorites. Edie
Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM

I have seen on several chat sites people mention the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt. Can some one please tell me about it and maybe where I can look and see if I would like to do it too.I found that no matter who we are here, we each have our likes and dislikes and that is what makes us good quilters. Thank you for all the information you have given on all of these chat sites. I have learned a lot by reading what you have told us. Opinions are important part of our lives and friends are also a GREAT PART of our lives.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM

In 1922 The Farmer's Wife Magazine ran a contest that asked the question "Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?" Fast forward 90yrs and Laurie Hird designed a quilt (queen-sized I think) using blocks with a general farm-y theme. Her book "The Farmer's Wife Sampler" includes patterns for these blocks and answers to the original contest question. Now, I want to say they are 6" blocks but don't quote me, they could be 4" blocks.
Originally Posted by Annya
I have seen on several chat sites people mention the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt. Can some one please tell me about it and maybe where I can look and see if I would like to do it too.I found that no matter who we are here, we each have our likes and dislikes and that is what makes us good quilters. Thank you for all the information you have given on all of these chat sites. I have learned a lot by reading what you have told us. Opinions are important part of our lives and friends are also a GREAT PART of our lives.