Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any fabrics you really don't like? >

Any fabrics you really don't like?

Any fabrics you really don't like?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 AM

I'm with you! They don't do much for me. But fortunately there are so many beautiful fabrics to drool over.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Power Poster

I pretty much like everything except for Disney/cartoon prints and anything with a tropical theme, like palms/hibiscus. I have some tropical prints in my stash (can't resist a good bargain), but when I get to it, the quilt I make will be given to a great friend who is crazy about all things tropical.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 AM

I go through phases. When I first started quilting I loved Thimbleberries. That was all I bought. No brights or batiks. Now I find myself loving brights and batiks. Still love thimbleberries but wish I had more selection of other fabrics. I guess I will have to go to Mary Jo's soon.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 AM

my girls smile at because if it has a flower in it I like it
Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 AM

I don't like Batik either, I also don't like Homespun in Quilts, I love the look of it but it doesn'a work in quilts, it frays too much.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Poodles
What is the civil war fabric or what does it look like. I like wildlife like the black bears, fishing and things that I have seen or done on trips
I read that this is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. I would love to do a quilt in the reproduction fabrics of the time of the Civil War - Very important in U.S. history.

You can google Bonnie Blue Quilts and get a general idea of what the fabric is like, color, design and patterns.

Have a good day. Edie
Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 AM

I love 'em all - I'm a new quilter so haven't formed any opinions yet and use whatever I lay my hands on ...........
Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I love color. Brights, prints, solids. Goldtones, batiks. I would be happy to have a whole bunch of it so I could keep on quilting. I think the bright colors are just happy and joyful. The darks are nice too and if they were mixed with goldtones or whites, I think they look great.

It all works for me. I've come across some prints that are just plain ugly, but I think no matter the print or color, something good can come out of it with a little creativity.
I so agree, just DO NOT care for wishy washy patterns/colours.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Would someone explain what Batiks are? New to quilting so I know this is a dumb question but would like to have an answer to it. Thanks from a newbie.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Roberta is our real expert but so you get some kind of an answer quickly...Batiks originated in Bali, they are hand-made using wax to make area of the fabric resistant to dye. Of, course, nowdays they are being manufactured by big companies. Some have a mottled look to them, others have an obvious theme. Good batiks are closely woven and the back and front are the same, ie no right or wrong side.
Originally Posted by lucy39
Would someone explain what Batiks are? New to quilting so I know this is a dumb question but would like to have an answer to it. Thanks from a newbie.