Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Any info on this Singer featherweight?

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    I'm looking, only looking, hee hee! at a white Singer featherweight. I asked about a serial number & was told:
    the first letter is P or F followed by A103268.
    I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much though I will continue trying.
    In the meantime, I thought I would ask here. There's so much knowledge on this board!
    Thanks
    Maureen

  2. #2
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    i have one will have to look at serial #

  3. #3
    Senior Member tulip43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ontarios West Coast Canada
    Posts
    375
    I would certainly love to have a White Featherweight.They are a dream to sew with.I have black ones,

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,379
    Blog Entries
    1
    If she is in good shape and reasonable, snap her up!! A great book with all kinds of info on Featherweights is by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. It has all kinds of info. From the serial# it could possibly have been made any time from 1969 - 1971. What voltage is the motor?

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    Thanks for the comments thus far. I was so attracted by the white colour that I couldn't stop looking at her. Last week the price was $200...yesterday it was down to $150.
    So, I don't really know what "reasonable" is for this particular one. Oh,I didn't think to ask the voltage.
    Maureen

  6. #6
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    Oh I would love a white one!!

  7. #7
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquilter
    Thanks for the comments thus far. I was so attracted by the white colour that I couldn't stop looking at her. Last week the price was $200...yesterday it was down to $150.
    So, I don't really know what "reasonable" is for this particular one. Oh,I didn't think to ask the voltage.
    Maureen
    Maureen,that's a great price!! If you don't want it you can get it for me. My birthday is coming up LOL :D:D

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquilter
    I'm looking, only looking, hee hee! at a white Singer featherweight. I asked about a serial number & was told:
    the first letter is P or F followed by A103268.
    I tried searching, but couldn't come up with much though I will continue trying.
    In the meantime, I thought I would ask here. There's so much knowledge on this board!
    Thanks
    Maureen
    Remember, there are two kinds of Featherweights. the vintage ones, model 221, of which there is a white one. and then the newer machines, small ones that they have
    labeled "Featherweight" but are nothing like the original ones. vast cost & quality difference !
    the vintage, white, model 221 Singer Featherweight is hard-wired (you can not remove plug from side ), shorter extension bed, no decals,belt driven & several other different design features. I have several vintage 221's, & don't personally, consider the white ones the quality of the others. they were only made for a few years in the latter years of 221 production. Graham Forsdyke has one of the most informative websites. an honest dealer.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    I knew I would great info from this board!
    Smitty, thank you, I will peruse Graham's website. I did notice that this particular machine did not have a decal on the front. I figured it was gone, but maybe it never existed?!
    Um, Susan Margaret, how much do you think postage would be?!!!! LOL! I'll start saving!
    Maureen

  10. #10
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Ahhh, Smitty just gave you some very good advice!! I forgot about those "reproductions", which are not Featherweights at all!!
    Let us know what happens! :D

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    i believe there is a Featherweight Club on the internet somewhere. Perhaps a Yahoo group.

  12. #12
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,700
    If it looks good and works good $150 is a steal especially for a white one. Normally they are snatched up right aways. You sure there is nothing wrong with it? Here is a picture of mine. It came with a case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    I've learned the motor is 110-120V & the cord is not detachable. I'm still pondering...hubby says to just get it! My favourite enabler!
    Anyway, I have pics but don't know how to get it here from my email.
    Maureen

  14. #14
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

    I am not sure what the letters are to connect you to the right series... AF series is this http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_AF_nos.pdf

    and if the number is AF103268 it was made Nove 21 1938 but not sure ... you need to look closer into the numbers embossed on your machine.

  15. #15
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    FA103268 would of been made in 1935...

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by xsquilter
    I knew I would great info from this board!
    Smitty, thank you, I will peruse Graham's website. I did notice that this particular machine did not have a decal on the front. I figured it was gone, but maybe it never existed?!
    Um, Susan Margaret, how much do you think postage would be?!!!! LOL! I'll start saving!
    Maureen
    The vintage Singer 221, white, had am emblem on the arm. It was not typical metal, more like a heavy foil. they are frequently missing.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

    I am not sure what the letters are to connect you to the right series... AF series is this http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_AF_nos.pdf

    and if the number is AF103268 it was made Nove 21 1938 but not sure ... you need to look closer into the numbers embossed on your machine.
    I don't think white Singer 221's were made until 1060's.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,866
    Again, many thanks for the info. Still pondering this...do I really "need" another machine just because it's cute! LOL
    I know, not a matter of need, but want! Hee,hee!
    Maureen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.