Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Blog Entries
    Chopsticks, stamp tongs (they've got a small flat tip that turns ANYTHING inside out), baby hair clips - the small metal ones for holding binding

plastic gum containers (wrigleys) for used needles and storing thimbles, BF made a hanging rack from black metal yard edging, screwed into a wood strip and it hangs sideways on the wall for strips

I use an old pill bottle with a hole drilled in the lid to drop in old or broken needles and pins. And a cheap small pint bruse to dust my machine for lint. Baby wipe box to store scissors and rotary cutters up high from little fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Sandpaper. :-D I cut out a piece of cardboard and wrapped a piece of 200 grit around it and duck taped it down. Wonderful to sign siggie blocks with or to draw lines on blocks cornor to cornor. I have used a large T-square for cutting out my borders. Its 48" long and the T part hooks onto the edge of the table and good to go. Works great.
    Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)

Blog Entries
    Thought of a few more I use -
    Chop stick for getting nice points
    Hospital forceps to grab & turn narrow applique strip
    Small hair scrunchies to cover bobbins so thread won't unwind - use scrunchie approx color of bobbin thread
    Narrow dough roller to flatten seam or to 'finger-press'
    Breath mint tins for pins, needles
    Masking tape to pick up loose threads
    Empty Crystal Light plastic tubes for small scissors, tweezers, extra filled bobbins, etc
    Empty toilet paper cardboard roll to slide over folded electric cords
    Flat hair clips on binding - avoids my being poked by pins
    Empty container from roll of adhesive tape - wind measuring tape around it & snap shut
    Clean, unused pizza boxes to stack 12 1/2" squares or 9 1/2" squares of block of the month projects
    Freezer paper for paper-piecing
    Adding machine roll paper - small applique copying, paper-piecing, etc
    Gardening gloves instead of quilting gloves (less expensive & works for me)
    Plastic zippered blanket bags for large WIPs

OK, probably more yet, but that's it for now :)
    Thanks, I'm learning from all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by dallen4350
    I found my smallest crochet hook works great for closing and opening safety pins when I was quilting.

I also have a tweezers handy when sewing. Use it to pull up thread from the bobbin, pick off any stray threads, pull out pins from under the pressure foot (but not yet under the needle), etc. I use the back to poke out corners as it has a rounded point.

What non-sewing items do you use?
    one of the sticky lint rollers works wonder for pulling out threads when you've had to rip a seam.

And of course, it's great to pick up loose threads and lint while piecing, too.

I use tiny electrical pliers to remove some of the PPing paper when I can't get a good hold on it.

Also use Chinese chop sticks for getting the corners out when turning right side out...works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Freezer paper! I use it to print my labels on the fabric from my printer. Found the tutorial here - http://craftygemini.blogspot.com/201...-for-free.html
    This is a brillliant idea, but not all ink jets are colour fast. Does anyone know if Epson ink is suitable for this method?

Blog Entries
    great tips so far!!!

I have a vintage (non-electronic) sewing machine made from cast aluminum so I defaced it with a piece of stick on magnet strip on the front of the machine to hold pins

I use a huge old metal goblet (quit laughing - I can find it) with a bingo maker magnet inside to hold pins

I found a domino holder thingy works to line up bobbins in the drawer

I use a tall tin to hold trash thread and fabric bits

a drawer handle on the side of the machine holds scissors

Blog Entries
    I found my smallest crochet hook works great for closing and opening safety pins when I was quilting.

I also have a tweezers handy when sewing. Use it to pull up thread from the bobbin, pick off any stray threads, pull out pins from under the pressure foot (but not yet under the needle), etc. I use the back to poke out corners as it has a rounded point.

Same thing - different thing!!!!! I use a needle-nose pliers! Edie

I use all the things the others posted but I also have a Black & Decker crosshair laser level that works perfect to square up a quilt. 2 sides at a time, laser comes out the top and side to make a perfect corner. Maybe you should get your husband one for Father's Day! ha

Blog Entries

Someone started a thread on this a few weeks ago. She was going to make a list and post it somewhere along the way. Try doing a search of topics and see if you can find it. There were some great ideas listed, among them mine using chop sticks for tube turners, stilletos, etc.

I use a "She Who Dies With the Most Fabric Wins" coffee cup as a thread holder
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a desktop file organizer to hold my rulers at the end of my table.........keeps them off the cutting surface but handy and I won't be stepping on any more and breaking them.

Blog Entries
    I use the ziplock baggies from Walgreen's that my medication comes in put the thread from ripped out stitches in, template peices, buttons, bobbins, just about anything.

Years ago I bought one of those containers that you can store homemade bread in. It also had a plastic thing in it that you used to slice the bread with, so that the slices were even. I had my DH put that up on a wall and that is where I store my rulers.
    Painters tape is another thing I use,

Blog Entries
    I got a 4 foot piece of chain from Home Depot and a hanging plant hook..put the plant hook in the ceiling, hung the chain, and put my quilts (or lg. pieces of fabric) on wooden pant hangers (Ikea) and hung them in the loops of the chain.

I use a dental pic for pulling out stitches. Cut a single stitch with a seam ripper then pull the stitches with the dental pic. When I'm on the long arm and have to remove some stitches it works beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I use freezer paper for printing on my fabric, empty containers from my test strips to hold filled bobbins.cardboard for homemade templates and a block of 4 by 4 that my husband cut at an angle to put the foot peddle of my machine against. This gives me a different position for my foot and leg and it really helps my back.

I use an air compressor to clean the lint out of my machines.

I used prewound bobbins and when my machine tells me its time to change bobbins there is still quite a bit left, so I put it in an empty floss container, you can pull the thread out and cut it on the little blade, works great for on the go projects or on an airplane

Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    I use a gizmo from Loews to store my worn out rotary cutting blades. It's called a Contain-it. It's a round (perfect size for the 45 mm blades), plastic container about 4 inches high with a soft plastic lid with a slit across the top. I just pop the blades thru the slit until I have enough to take in for recycling.
    I need to look for that.

Hmm, non-sewing items? I opened a couple drawers by my sewing machine and I see foil, sticky back sand paper, fat pipe cleaners, small paint brushes, emery boards, beeswax, lint rollers, hair clips, double stick tape, freezer paper, parchment paper, wax paper, painters tape, plastic medical tape, magnetic parts dish, butter knife, screw driver with groove filed in, orangewood manicure stick, sharpened piece of dowel, fat and skinny soda straws, broken crochet hook (stilleto), glue sticks, permanent and washable, washable school glue, junk mail (plain on one side) tweezers (sharp pointed, bent with ridges), cookie cutters, plastic lids for templates, Qtips, grabber with magnetic end, rubber pieces to keep foot pedal in place, OSB board and plywood sheets (for chair mats), T square, protractor, compass, clothes drying rack, plastic bags, 3 sizes, small needle nose pliers, tin can for pencils, coffee cup holder, and rubber maid turnable with cutting mat glued on top, binder clips, oven liner sheets........I could keep going, but then these ARE all sewing items for me. LOL

I love all the items that people come up with and the innovative ways to use them.

I use those little pony tail holder to put around my treaded bobbins to keep them from unwinding...baby food jars for all small items stored upside down in a drawer.( then I can see whats in them with out taking them out. I have a belt hanger I hang my rulers on.school glue for holding hems. Tackle boxes for take along sewing.Tops of plastic containers to make small patterns( like hexagons)

My large cutting board is on the cutting table but all the others (from 24x36" down) are hung on the back of the sewingroom door. Glue rubber bubble shelf liner to the inside of wood trouser hangers and they hold tightly. Hang on an over-the-door gizmo.
    I also have two revolving kitchen utensil holders where I hand all my scissors and shears.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast