Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Blog Entries
    bobbins fit in some bottle caps

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Someone started a thread on this a few weeks ago. She was going to make a list and post it somewhere along the way. Try doing a search of topics and see if you can find it. There were some great ideas listed, among them mine using chop sticks for tube turners, stilletos, etc.
    I've looked but never found a "search" on QB. Where is it?

cooking skewers for a stiletto. Blue painters tape for marking edges for quilting. Use binding clips to hold when binding - Now use hair clippies. Plastic zip lock bags for projects or to keep small amounts of materials together. Zipper bags from purchases to put projects in. Shaving kits work well to take small stuff to class. Thanks for the other ideas I am reading about.

My wife uses a boot hook (come as a pair, for pulling western boots on by the boot straps) to access the storage drawers and pulling out the tubs stored under her 8-ft folding table next to her sewing cabinet.

CD in Oklahoma

Boot Hook
    Name:  Attachment-206925.jpe
Views: 382
Size:  17.5 KB

I use the back seat floor mat from our Jeep on the floor under my sewing machine to hold my floor foot feed in one place. I have a cement floor in my basement where my sewing room is and my foot feed kept scooting across the floor.

Metal chopsticks for turning. I found that the wooden ones have rough edge that seem to catch on the fabric. I use the little plastic tubes that extra lead (for mechanical pencils) comes in for old used hand sewing needles. I also have a long cardboard tube that wrapping paper came on taped to the front edge of my sewing table. The round profile keeps my quilts from catching on the front edge. A fan with a remote control to keep the hot flashes under control when I screw something up. Yikes. Ipod on shuffle is absolutely necessary tool for sewing.

Great replys! My hubby quilter and I use most already. We learned two great ones in quilt quild. An eyebrow shaver/trimmer works great as a seam ripper. Three come in a package. We found ours at the Family Dollar Store for around 4.00. It looks like a mini straight razor with a handle and has a guard over the cutting edge. The other one is just the greatest: a black pen made by Pilot - the friXon ball erasable gel pen. The marks disapear with heat!!and will not return unless your project is frozen! (No more hiding your UFOs in the freezer so you can start another project!) We have only found them at Walgreens Drug Stores and a package of two is about 4.75. They can be ordered from the web but cost about the same with shipping.
    Betty in Mississippi, USA

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wooden skewers for stiletto,magnet with a handle for picking up nails etc. at Lowes for a constrution for picking up needles and pins off the floor, lint roller for picking up threads and picking up small pieces of fabric off floor put it on a small paint roller handle then I put a paint roller long handle on that alot less bending,kids ponytail holders from dollar store for putting on bobbins. Flat metal hair clips for sewing on binding , I'm sure thers more but thats all I can think of right now.

I inherited from my mother a set of 3 wall mounted divided shadow boxes for storing thread. I arrange the thread roughly by color and it looks like a Mondrian picture.

Where do you recycle blades? Never heard of that before.

Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    I use a gizmo from Loews to store my worn out rotary cutting blades. It's called a Contain-it. It's a round (perfect size for the 45 mm blades), plastic container about 4 inches high with a soft plastic lid with a slit across the top. I just pop the blades thru the slit until I have enough to take in for recycling.
    Never heard of recycling blades but great idea. Where do you take blades for recycling?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    an unused mascara brush for cleaning lint out

Quote Originally Posted by dallen4350
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Someone started a thread on this a few weeks ago. She was going to make a list and post it somewhere along the way. Try doing a search of topics and see if you can find it. There were some great ideas listed, among them mine using chop sticks for tube turners, stilletos, etc.
    I've looked but never found a "search" on QB. Where is it?
    I had trouble too.... on the very top, second line, under the work Message

I use a wooden chopstick to help fasten the safety pins when basting a quilt. Lots of good ideas mentioned here. Some I use, some I would never have thought of on my own

Blog Entries
    I use large binder clips when layering my quilts for pin basting. I lay the backing down making sure it is smooth and taught, then binder clip it onto my cutting table, then do the same w/the batting and then the top. The clips hold it in place until all the pins are secured.

I also use the binding combs (the plastic things you see on some business proposals) to store my bobbins. I got them at Staples. they are very portable and they keep the thread from being snarled.

Marie

One of those extendable magnets. Seems everything I drop ends out either behind something or rolls in back of something. Sometime my pins fall out of a project too and end out on the floor behind my machine, great for picking those up too

I do the same thing....use the bread slicer to hold my rulers. Its real handy and it really works great for the bigger ones.

The main things?
    I glued a little advertising magnet on my machine, magnet side up, and drop my pins onto it as I pull them out.

I have a portable reading light with a flexible neck and a clip-thingy to hold it in place. I clip it to the top of my machine and the light is the right height to for my needle and sewing (every little bit of light helps!) When I'm not sewing, it goes back on my book-in-progress.

Post-its to write the row number/block positions.

All sorts of recycled plastic containers.

can't live w/o ziplock bags-all sizes!

Another thought - I have a lot of shelves in my closet and at a garage sale this weekend, I picked up 10 small plastic boxes about 8 X 10 X about 5 inches deep - or so and came home and sorted projects into them and put them on the shelves. Room looks nicer now. When my husband used the pvc pipe to extend my table, he put a solid dowel inside the pipe to make it much more steady. Then he put an adhesive tape on the leg and pulled the pvc pipe over it. Wow - a really solid table for so little $$$.

Chopsticks for "pushing" out corners of pillowcases.
    Bamboo skewers to use as a stilletto when sewing seams.
    Pedicure toe separators to hold threaded bobbins.
    Half a clothespin to "finger Press" seams. I used a pigma pen and decorated it with little flowers.

I use a gizmo from Loews to store my worn out rotary cutting blades. It's called a Contain-it. It's a round (perfect size for the 45 mm blades), plastic container about 4 inches high with a soft plastic lid with a slit across the top. I just pop the blades thru the slit until I have enough to take in for recycling.
    I have an old mason pint size jar with slit cut in top of lid for my old blades.

Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s
    I have an old mason pint size jar with slit cut in top of lid for my old blades.
    and where do you talke used rotary blades for recycling....

Quote Originally Posted by judyrael
    I use the back seat floor mat from our Jeep on the floor under my sewing machine to hold my floor foot feed in one place. I have a cement floor in my basement where my sewing room is and my foot feed kept scooting across the floor.
    I love this idea. I'm always having to search around on the floor for my pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s
    and where do you talke used rotary blades for

recycling....
    I don't know. It will take me years to fill up this jar.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast