Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt? >

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 AM

from experience as a soccer mom get a wool Army blanket. very warm, or a sleeping bag (LOL) works. you could use the Army blanket as you batting if you really want a quilt.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
This was just in on another letter to this site. Sounds like
a marvelous idea for myself too. I forgot who did this, she's a smart lady.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed in my dog supply catalog they are now offering sleeping mats that have a "thermo reflective material" in them to provide a warm sleeping place for old, arthritic dogs. I have an old arthritic dog so I bought 2 yds of insulbrite to try making bed covers or quilts for his sleeping comfort. Since I am also old and arthritic I decided to test it on my own bed first. I put it under my bottom sheet for a sleep test. It feels sooo good I will have to go back to Joanns for another 2 yds for Lad!
thats a good idea
Old 12-18-2010, 07:55 AM

on the actual topic!! I made one from flannel on both sides with warm and natural wadding - I tied it as it would have been to thick to quilt - lovely and warm
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM

My mom always brought the picnik table covers. The ones that are soft on the inside so they don't slide on the table. And then plastic on the outside. We use to wrap up in those. It kept the wind and the rain off. We did have blankets too but we always put that over the top. They really worked. If I had the choice to either bring a picnik table cover or a quilt I would take the table cover any day. Always good to bring a pillow or blanket or anything to sit on. The bleachers are metal or concrete and very cold. Have fun.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Wool batting - best ever.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Wool pieces on front, flannel backed, tied. I have several of these made by my Grandmother. They are very, very warm. I'm not sure what the batting is because I never have opened them. They are at least 70 years old. She brought the backing around to the front for the binding and did feather (we called in bird feet) stitch on it.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Actually, you might want to just get a fiberfill sleeping bag that unzips both directions (so your feet can be out). It is better wind protection, dries quickly after rain and snow, and can be thrown in washer/dryer. Save all that precious time and money for an 'inside' quilt. Yep....I worked in high schools for 30+ years and attended hundreds of football games in the cold. Have fun!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Use any of the sturdy fabric for the top and backing but look for a wool batt, lightweight and extra warm. Our ancestors knew what to do for cold weather. Make a cover for it and wash it instead of the quilt, I think that is called a duvet. At home you canuse it on your bed. I do.
Carol J.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 AM

My kids have denim quilts backed with fleece and the thickest batting I could find. They are tied of course. The denim and fleece are both durable. The quilts are heavy, but the kids carry them around all the time. Their friends are always borrowing them. We are having to make extras for friends. I like the idea of insulbrite in these quilts and am going to try that! These do have to go to the laundromat though, to be washed because they are so thick. A pad made the same way to sit on is a great idea!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 AM

I just read somewhere, where someone was going to make a dog bed with Insulabrite for an arthritic dog. She tried it under bed sheets at the foot of the bed and said it was wonderful. Maybe it would work? Not as heavy as 2 layers of batting, but could reflect the body heat back.

Thought it was a interesting idea.