Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt? >

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 PM

I would agree with the wool group..But just a thought..has anyone used bamboo..I have and it is a dream to quilt but I don't know about warmth..It is soft and molds around you nicely
Old 12-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Buy some long underwear and wear it.
Silk undies ...
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jlbear
My son has been weight lifting after school and plans to go out for football this coming fall. I'm already thinking about sitting outside in the freezing temperatures watching him play!

I'd like to make a warm quilt that I can wrap around me while at his games, something simple and easy, but have it very warm. What would you suggest to use for batting? Is there a type of batting that is super warm, or would you suggest using a double layer of batting (I've never done that before). Or use fleece as the back?

Thank you for your help!
Jodi
Use a wool blanket for the batting. Might find it in a military surplus store. My mom made a quilt using an army blanket years ago, and it's still holding up.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
Silk undies ...
Cuddle duds at J.C.Penny's are great too, hardly know you're wearing them under tops and jeans. Adds that layer of warmth.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
This was just in on another letter to this site. Sounds like
a marvelous idea for myself too. I forgot who did this, she's a smart lady.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed in my dog supply catalog they are now offering sleeping mats that have a "thermo reflective material" in them to provide a warm sleeping place for old, arthritic dogs. I have an old arthritic dog so I bought 2 yds of insulbrite to try making bed covers or quilts for his sleeping comfort. Since I am also old and arthritic I decided to test it on my own bed first. I put it under my bottom sheet for a sleep test. It feels sooo good I will have to go back to Joanns for another 2 yds for Lad!
What an awesome idea - Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Yes Insulbright would definately keep you warm it reflects the heat of hot pans ect back away from you or your table/counter ect. so why not use it for convecting your own body heat.
I camp out in extreme cold, and have done this. I have a fleece/high loft/fleece, a fleece/Insulbright/fleece, and a cotton/fleece/cotton, for all cool-cold weather. Summer is just a sheet, if anything. The fleece/HL/Fleece is a block pattern, ditch stitched. The Insulbrite is a whole cloth with large, meandering cross hatch. The one with the fleece batting is a 9-patch stitch in the ditch. The drinking water in the tent can be frozen in the morning, but I'm toasty and well rested. I like slipping into the fleece. It's warm right away. I have to toss in a bed warmer before I crawl in next to the cotton on really cold nights.

Consider putting some ties or snaps in strategic places to make a cuddle wrap if it will be used for games, where you might be standing, sitting and moving around often. Another thing I find useful outdoors is a long fleece scarf with pockets for my paws.

Glad this came up. I think I'd also like to make a hood-scarf with insulbrite and definitely line the pockets. The last one I made was just two layers of fleece, nice and wide, so it covered the back of my neck nicely, but did not have a draw string on the hood. A good wind would blow it off.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
Originally Posted by newbiequilter
Silk undies ...
Cuddle duds at J.C.Penny's are great too, hardly know you're wearing them under tops and jeans. Adds that layer of warmth.
I used to wear Cuddle Duds under LL Bean flannel lined jeans when I lived in Upstate NY and the temps dipped below 0. That combo worked great!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Back in the "old days" summer quilts were made of cotton.. winter time you used "comforters".. they were made from old suits.. or wools and corduroys... they had a heavy or double bat and a backing of heavy flannel.. and they were tied.. there's no way you could quilt them. and let me tell you they were warm.. yes.. they were heavy.. but they were warm.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM

i think a rag quilt with jeans or good flannel or both would be warm and wash up easy
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM

I made my two grandchildren sleeping bags using commander cloth (a water resistant jacket weight material) and I used thinsulate as batting. They had fleece (little tricky to use with nonstretch material) on the inside.

Great for on the floor, at the lake when it is chilly, and perfect for winter safety in the car(temperatures will go to 40 below here).