Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt? >

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Any suggestions on making a very warm quilt?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I suggest warm and natural batting and quilters flannel for the back. Warm without the weight.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by jlbear
My son has been weight lifting after school and plans to go out for football this coming fall. I'm already thinking about sitting outside in the freezing temperatures watching him play!

I'd like to make a warm quilt that I can wrap around me while at his games, something simple and easy, but have it very warm. What would you suggest to use for batting? Is there a type of batting that is super warm, or would you suggest using a double layer of batting (I've never done that before). Or use fleece as the back?

Thank you for your help!
Jodi
I made my son a pineapple denim quilt for Christmas one year - it is extremely warm - no batting and just used some blue chambry like fabric for the backing that a friend gave me - she had purchased it to make some chambry shirts with, but never did use any of it.
Why not make a denim square quilt and purchase two flannel flat sheets, use one for the batting for extra warmth and the other one for the backing. That would really warm. Just don't use any denim with stretch to it, these pieces dont work well with regular denim, ask me how I know. Why not get a snuggif you don't have one and use it for your back, or maybe on for the front and the back, plus the quilt you decide on.
You could make your self a hooded fleece poncho to cover your upper body and use a quilt also to wrap around legs. Get a good warm cushon because those bleachers are cold!. Gerbie
Old 12-19-2010, 01:40 AM

I made all my family member fleece blankets one year for Christmas. Used a print on the front and matching solid on the back. I used 2 yard lengths and sewed them together at the bottom and top and hand tied the sides (hate having floppy things in my face when I'm napping). They love them and talk about how warm they are. They are TOO warm for me as I am hot-natured. I need to make new ones for my DGDs as they have outgrown the shorter ones I made for them.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM

wool batting the best. like butter to quilt weather by hand or machine.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM

there are great ideas for quilts here to keep you warm but Ithought I would tell you about the cushions that are made for hunters they have some kind of pellets in them that when you sit on them uses your heat to keep you warm. would be great is you are going to be on the cold benches outside..good luck to your son with the games. Ravonda
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 PM

My sister is a trucker and a friend takes coumadin. I am making 60x90 throws with flannel on one side and fleece on the other with batting to help keep them warm. May need to look at Insulbrite.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Jim

Our daughter wanted a really warm quilt...we doubled the polyester batting and its so hot you can't hardly stand it...she uses it at football games. Its also quilted loosely not a close quilting pattern. It not heavy at all but super warm.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Maybe make a cover/duvet for a goose down comforter?
My grandmother had several goose down comforters inSATIN of all gorgeous things. The down was put in a very fine tightly woven cotton pillow straight into the satin envelope and all four layers were quilted in a very large Celtic pattern. Quite beautiful.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Now a satin comforter is not exactly theo sort of thing you'd tote off to a football game! It was made before the days of centra heating for use in the Canadian Maritimes, weather can be cold and damp.

Another, but more flexible idea is to get or make a plain cotton duvet cover, and sew patch or applique right onto the the top part of the envelope with no bat or other stuffing, then you can change back and forth between cool or warm duvets and have a 4 season system for one 'quilt'.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jlbear
My son has been weight lifting after school and plans to go out for football this coming fall. I'm already thinking about sitting outside in the freezing temperatures watching him play!

I'd like to make a warm quilt that I can wrap around me while at his games, something simple and easy, but have it very warm. What would you suggest to use for batting? Is there a type of batting that is super warm, or would you suggest using a double layer of batting (I've never done that before). Or use fleece as the back?

Thank you for your help!
Jodi
jodi,make a quilted bottom pad with insulbright to put on the stadium bench and make some square, rice filled, channel stitched pads. heat rice pads 3 or 4 min in microwave. once you are at the stadium, put down nsulbrite bottom pad, then the warm rice pads, cover legs with quilt and i think you would have a fighting chance against cold. i fill tube socks with rice and use them at home all the time. good luck. keep us posted. johnnye