Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody doing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery? >

Anybody doing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery?

Anybody doing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom View Post
I really think you'll like it once you get started. I've done a couple of her mysteries and they've all been fun and a great way to use up scraps. You will certainly get lots and lots of practice piecing. The steps aren't difficult (and all are very well-illustrated), but there are lots of pieces. If you don't get all piecing done before the next 'clue', start on the new ones to keep up w/ the group; makes it easier if you have any questions.

I'm thinking about doing mine is oranges, browns, and greens for my dark/high contrast colors. Got the idea while reading the email and seeing a maple tree changing colors outside my office window.
I have done mystery quilts and truly enjoyed them. I am going to try hers.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM

I have not done one of Bonnie's mystery quilts. Everyone I have seen is beautiful though!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 AM

I haven't decided. I have so much quilting and so many other projects waiting for my time. Maybe I will follow along and save the clues to do later.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
My biggest problem with quilting is picking out the fabrics. I agonize over it for days on end before I finally come up with what "I think" I want, and that still doesn't mean I will be happy with it. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am not. I have only done one Mystery Quilt, and picking fabric out for that was even worse, cause I had no idea where the different colors were going to go. Other than that, it was fun, and the quilt turned out really nice.
I did my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt (Roll, Roll, Cotton Bowl) last year. I used Bonnie's colors that she listed and it came out beautiful. I'm doing the same this year! Her colors are Red, Blue, Black and a light neutral. She said the neutral can be one piece of fabric, or scrappy lights whatever you like. You have a week to do each section - new clues come out each Friday starting November 18th. I had a ball doing this last year. I got behind, and did not finish until the end of January, but that is OK! You just work at your own pace. Just be sure to print out the instructions for the next step each week. Go for it, you'll love it! The instructions will be on her web site until next May.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
I just finished sortin' my stash & picking out my colors, purples, blues/teals and browns. I've never done a mystery so I'm really looking forward to it. Just hope I have time to keep up.
You don't have to "keep up", just do what you can each week. I got behind during Christmas, but got it all finished by the end of January. It turned out beautiful! She gives very detailed instructions with photos of what to do. You can subscribe to her Yahoo site, too!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm gonna go for it. Love Bonnie Hunter
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

I think it's a really bad time of year for starting this, LOL. I have a lot of things going on quiltwise just now. I think I am going to have to collect the clues and do it later also. Perhaps we can all do it together after the first of the year, call ourselves better late than never! Heeheee....
When I do it, I am thinking of pinks, greens and purples.... I don't know if that is high contrast enough or not, but I've a lot of those colors gathered, and I've been waiting to use them.

Last edited by wildyard; 11-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Never done a mystery quilt before. Going to give it a try. I took one of Bonnie's classes and just loved it!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:05 PM

I was going to do it, but I just went through my sewing room and just looking at all the UFO's and PIGS just makes me heartsick...so I really shouldn't do the mystery and instead work on finishing up some of the current projects.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

I need to come up with one more color!! I'm going to go with Purples, Yellows and Turquoise. I'm going light and dark on these. Purple so purple it's nearly black to yellow so pale it's steering towards white. I've got a drawer nearly full of the scraps, strips, strings and crumbs I've been digging through.

What other color ya'll think? Pinks? Reds? Hmmmmmmmm