Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Machine embroirdered to quilt a quilt?

I'd love to see a close up if you don't mind.

The close up was meant for kluedesigns. You can tell that I haven't had much experience on the board. LOL

Would if I could. It went out as a gift.

Blog Entries
    I just finished a purse and I quilted the squares with an embroidery stitch from my machine. It was easy because it was a small project; don't know if it would work on a larger project.

Blog Entries
    You make the prettiest quilts. Everything you've posted is just gorgeous!

I went to a mini seminar at Sew Expo this year and the lady suggested putting the Emb. Machine on the floor and quilting it this way.
    K

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieappmom
    The close up was meant for kluedesigns. You can tell that I haven't had much experience on the board. LOL
    i'll post up close up pics tomorrow.

its hanging over our bed and DH is laying it in right now - the flash might wake him up :roll:

years ago I bought a design made for quilting. It looks very nice on the quilt, front back. Now I'm doing one around the whole border of the quilt. My embroidery machine has a program for this purpose. It has feathers which I am using, one is a corner design & the other is a curved one. There are 20 of each of them on each long side of the quilt. A few less on the short side. Yes, you have to re-hoop every time but you don't use stabilizer so it's just a matter of marking for placement & re-hooping which is easy wihtout stabilizer! Here are some pictures of the 1st one. I will try to send a picture of the new one when it's done. It's time consuming but worth it, esp if you're not real good at free-motion quilting-like me! :oops: I'm getting better, though! Look at Thimbleberries,com & Embroidery Library for quilting designs. Good luck & have fun with it! :wink:

I will try this ONE MORE TIME!!! Don't know WHY I'm having so much trouble?? I embroider quilted on a quilt a couple of years ago & it's very pretty. Just be sure to use single stitch designs. This one was made for quilting. Now my embroidery machine has quilt designs on it so I'm doing a big quilt with feather corners & curved feathers all the way around it. It;s time consuming but worth it. No stabilizer makes it faster, just measure placement & re-hoop! Look at Thimbleberries & Embroidery Library for quilt designs. It's hard to make a choice, there's so many! Here are some pictures. Good luck & have fun! :wink:

back of quilt. If you look closely, you can see the embroidery
    Name:  Attachment-7140.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  69.5 KB

close-up of embroidery & applique. I did applique b4 I put it together.
    Name:  Attachment-16920.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  94.5 KB

front of quilt. I embroidered i the brown print squares.
    Name:  Attachment-36584.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  88.9 KB

Blog Entries
    I really like the tip about putting the embroidery machine on the floor!!! Such a simple solution....but I would NEVER have thought of that on my own :oops: :roll: :oops:

Blog Entries
    Sewin Sam, that is beautifully done!!! I really like the design you chose!!! :D :D :D

:lol: Thanks! It's fun to watch it develope on your quilt! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I think I will do it. My free motion looks like the cat did it!!

There are designs just for quilting. I quilt on my emb. machine all of the time , use thread that matches the back. It works very well. do not use stablizer.

Dear Up North, Yes i have used the machine to embroider quilting. i made a Christmas quilt and all the quilting was the snowflakes. lot of work but beautiful results. use a backing fabric that goes with the front and the embroidery just adds to the over all quilt look.
    if you have a table in front of the machine and i use the ironing board at the side to help hold the quilt weight. choose a embroidery pattern that is simple. No heavy embroidery. hope this helps, hot grandma[img]

I found this site today. It sells stencils for quilting, and some digitized ones for different kinds embroidery of machines:

www.quiltingstencils.com

Maria

Banned
    here's a pic of the sashiko embroidery on the geisha quilt i posted earlier in the week.

all the sashiko was done by the embroidery machine. i just hooped the entire quilt (top, batting, and backing) and let the machine do its thing.

this is the front of the embroidery
    Name:  Attachment-36407.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  55.0 KB

this is the back of the embroidery
    Name:  Attachment-36408.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  36.1 KB

Yes, and it works wonderful. there are lots of quilting embroidery designs that will compliment your quilt. It is fast and easy. I don't use any stablizer just hoop the quilt. Use the same thread top and in the bobbin. :D

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    It seems to me that what is being asked here, is not if it would work to do embroidery (such as flowers or animals) in place of quilting, but to use the machine embroidery stitches as opposed to straight line stitching. Most machines these days will do some fancy stitches, and these would give it an appearance similar to the "crazy quilts" made in earlier days.
    June
    A cousin wanted a baby Blanket with butterflies. I had to use the material I had. We were in the midst of recovering from Hurricane Jeanne in Florida. The material I had that was packed in boxes. I found this material Pink,yellow and white. I had to piece it to make 12" squares. I used quilting spray as a stabelizer and a hoop. My machine is about an 6 to 8 inch throat. Never measured but can't be much more than that. I traced a big butterfly in the middle and then small ones going around and used the fancy stitches to embroider the butterflies . She loved it and uses it as a wall hanging. She turns it over every few months as it has a different look on the back.
    It was fun doing it that way but unless it is a for a special person it is a lot of work.
    BillsBonBon

Back of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-6064.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  35.4 KB

Front of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-6390.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  35.3 KB

Banned
    i think my embroidery machine is the least expensive you can get on the market because you have to use your computer and send the design to the sewing machine.

i have the singer futura CE200.

i got it for $450 and while its not the best one on the market it has met my needs.

i've only used it to do embroidery onto quilts and for names and dates.

i don't think i'd ever attempt to work on baseball caps or anything like that.

yes, I did embroider a quilt for quilting. It was a kids quilt and for the back, i used a cute fabric and a pretty variegated thread in the bobbin. Unfortunately, I have no picture but the recipients loved the quilt.

Any redwork(type) pattern should work. I've been putting fleece on the backs of my baby quilts(no batting). Then finding a pattern that works with them.
    Like the footballs and helmets in this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any redwork(type) pattern should work. I've been putting fleece on the backs of my baby quilts(no batting). Then finding a pattern that works with them.
    Like the footballs and helmets in this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have used redwork embroidery designs to quilt with. Last year at Christmas I made a snowman quilt for my sister in law and used snowflakes for the quilting. You don't need any stabalizer just need to hoop the section to quilt. Turns out really great. Kacy

Sorry for the double post it's cloudy and internet is acting crazy.
    Linda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast