Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody Machine embroirdered to quilt a quilt? >

Anybody Machine embroirdered to quilt a quilt?

Anybody Machine embroirdered to quilt a quilt?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 PM

I went to a mini seminar at Sew Expo this year and the lady suggested putting the Emb. Machine on the floor and quilting it this way.
K
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
The close up was meant for kluedesigns. You can tell that I haven't had much experience on the board. LOL
i'll post up close up pics tomorrow.

its hanging over our bed and DH is laying it in right now - the flash might wake him up :roll:
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 PM

years ago I bought a design made for quilting. It looks very nice on the quilt, front back. Now I'm doing one around the whole border of the quilt. My embroidery machine has a program for this purpose. It has feathers which I am using, one is a corner design & the other is a curved one. There are 20 of each of them on each long side of the quilt. A few less on the short side. Yes, you have to re-hoop every time but you don't use stabilizer so it's just a matter of marking for placement & re-hooping which is easy wihtout stabilizer! Here are some pictures of the 1st one. I will try to send a picture of the new one when it's done. It's time consuming but worth it, esp if you're not real good at free-motion quilting-like me! :oops: I'm getting better, though! Look at Thimbleberries,com & Embroidery Library for quilting designs. Good luck & have fun with it! :wink:
Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 PM

I will try this ONE MORE TIME!!! Don't know WHY I'm having so much trouble?? I embroider quilted on a quilt a couple of years ago & it's very pretty. Just be sure to use single stitch designs. This one was made for quilting. Now my embroidery machine has quilt designs on it so I'm doing a big quilt with feather corners & curved feathers all the way around it. It;s time consuming but worth it. No stabilizer makes it faster, just measure placement & re-hoop! Look at Thimbleberries & Embroidery Library for quilt designs. It's hard to make a choice, there's so many! Here are some pictures. Good luck & have fun! :wink:

back of quilt. If you look closely, you can see the embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7140[/ATTACH]

close-up of embroidery & applique. I did applique b4 I put it together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16920[/ATTACH]

front of quilt. I embroidered i the brown print squares.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36584[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7140.jpe   attachment-16920.jpe   attachment-36584.jpe  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

I really like the tip about putting the embroidery machine on the floor!!! Such a simple solution....but I would NEVER have thought of that on my own :oops: :roll: :oops:
Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

Sewin Sam, that is beautifully done!!! I really like the design you chose!!! :D :D :D
Old 06-04-2009, 09:14 PM

:lol: Thanks! It's fun to watch it develope on your quilt! Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I think I will do it. My free motion looks like the cat did it!!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 AM

There are designs just for quilting. I quilt on my emb. machine all of the time , use thread that matches the back. It works very well. do not use stablizer.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Dear Up North, Yes i have used the machine to embroider quilting. i made a Christmas quilt and all the quilting was the snowflakes. lot of work but beautiful results. use a backing fabric that goes with the front and the embroidery just adds to the over all quilt look.
if you have a table in front of the machine and i use the ironing board at the side to help hold the quilt weight. choose a embroidery pattern that is simple. No heavy embroidery. hope this helps, hot grandma[img]