Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone done the California Snowflake pattern from Bloc Loc >

Anyone done the California Snowflake pattern from Bloc Loc

Anyone done the California Snowflake pattern from Bloc Loc

Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Default Anyone done the California Snowflake pattern from Bloc Loc

Has anyone sewn this pattern? I find the directions a bit confusing and hard to determine which size Bloc Loc rulers I need. There are fabric cutting directions included, but no dimensions for what size you will trim the specific units to that require the kite in a square ruler, and the half-rectangle triangle.

I purchased a kit of Timeless Treasures Serafina fabrics in early 2014 to make the California Snowflake quilt, not realizing at the time you had to get these special rulers.

If anyone has done this pattern, I would love some input!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I have the pattern, but haven't started. I looked around here for the pattern but can't find it. Wow, what a surprise Anyway, the bloc loc kite in a square ruler is a one trick pony. The template will only make a single size (a 3" or 4"), so you would trim this patch to the size of the template. Looking at the pattern, the half rectangle is the same length as the kite. If the pattern tells you to get the 3" (finished) kite, then you would trim your rectangle to 3.5 X 2. If they tell you to get the 4" (finished) kite then you would trim to 4.5 x 2.5"
If you don't have the rulers, I'm not sure how you will do the kite. You can look online to see if you can find instructions for the kite patch, or draft a paper pieced pattern.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I too purchase another pattern not realizing that I had to purchase a specialty ruler. I wish they would have it posted visible on the pattern.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of tools and gadgets, and I will say that the BlocLoc products are ones that I use all the time. They are pricey, but for perfect patches they can't be beat. I purchased this pattern from them at a show, so I knew that the pattern would be made with their rulers. Not impossible to do without, but much, much easier with them!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM

Thank you Paper Princess! You offer more clarification than my printed pattern does! Only in tiny print at the bottom of the cover page of my pattern does it even say anything about Bloc Loc rulers. It does say the 3" Kite in a square ruler and then I think those pieces also have a sew and flip end attached. The adjoining units of the block are made using the half-rectangle triangle ruler. In the fabric cutting directions is says to cut the fabric rectangles 2.5 x 5", but no where does it say what size you are to trim them to after you sew? Only other clue is the whole block is supposed to measure 9.5" and I can see the drawing shows there are 9 units sewn together. I don't mind buying the rulers, but the pattern seems to be sparse on directions....or I could be sparse on brain matter. LOL
Old 01-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

The 9.5" size (9" finished) makes perfect sense using the 3" kite ruler. The kite blocks in the corners get trimmed to 3.5" before you add them to the block. Take the 2.5 X 5" rectangles, place right sides together, draw a line from one corner to the opposite (like you were making HSTs). Sew on either side of the line, then cut on the line. Press and trim the 2 rectangles to 3.5" X 2" before snowballing the corners & adding to the block. When you trim, make sure that the seam goes corner to corner. This is where the ruler would pay for itself, as you would get perfectly trimmed patches.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 PM

I appreciate you helpful explanation Paper Princess! I did watch a youtube video of how to use the HRT ruler last night, and can see how they would aid in accurately cutting several of the same units. I think if I'm going to invest in some of these rulers it would be well worth buying one of their booklets for $20 to have over 50 block pattern options so I could make other projects in addition to this kit.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Hi I just found my book. The blocks actually are quite nice. There's a cutting chart for each size block (6,9,12,15), which provides info for one block. You would have to calculate how many blocks you wanted in your quilt, then figure the yardage. There is just a layout of the block, no construction details, so probably not good for a brand new quilter. Each block also has 2 or 3 quilt layouts in different colorways so you can visualize the final design.