Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 AM

I completely agree! Tired of seeing the same colors, same blocks and same tutorials. BTW----bought Quilt Almanac yesterday and it was $9.95 at the register. No more of those for me!!!! I'll pay that much for something really different but it wasn't....
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Yep, I’ve cancelled all mine too. EXCEPT for one and it’s online. Actually, I’m pretty impressed with it. It is new, completely online and just loaded with usable and printable free patterns, full-size templates where applicable, etc. They’re about to release their second issue.

Here’s the best part: A one-year subscription (monthly – 12 issues, maybe 13) is only $14 or thereabouts. You can print what you want, save the entire magazine (PDF) to your computer and/or DVD, etc.

They also speak to quilters at all levels, in fact, showing a “key” to quickly determine the skills likely need to do each pattern. Mostly, I love that you will likely find at least one pattern per month that you like and it will have ended up only costing you a buck. If you find more than one . . . well, you get the idea.

I don’t have any connection to them, and share just because I think it’s such a good deal. Go to: www.quiltpatternmagazine.com (I don't know why the link didn't go active, but it's pretty easy to remember for just typing it in the address line.)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 AM

Glad that I am not the only one thinking the same - how different can one get on the same patterns? Besides, these designers receive all that fabric from the mfg. so of course they can create such coordinated quilts (that is if you can see the blocks underneath all that quilting!) Did you ever try to find THOSE fabrics in your LQS? They may carry two or three - never the whole line.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 AM

I agree. Also, if you see a neat pattern, you need to buy probably about 3 issues to get the full pattern. The only subscription I have is a digital QuiltersWorld.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:49 AM

I decided after a year of two subscribtions that I had more quilt patterns than I ever will need. I just stopped getting them.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 AM

I also have the digital Quilt World which is great because you can go into the archives and get even more articles and patterns. The computer has certainly enriched our lives but sadly has played havoc with business and jobs.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 AM

yes. seems as though they are the same ideas mag after mag. I like the internet and quilting boards such as this better.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I got three in the mail yesterday and usually my favorite thing is an afternoon of crusing thru them...I must have been in a MOOD...cuz couldn't see anything that really struck me. I really think they are running out of ideas. Been there done that type of thing...anyone else think so????
I dropped all but one of my subscriptions because they were all so much alike. Almost like the editors get together and decide what theie issues are going to be featuring each time.
(I doubt they do, but they seem to all follow the same ideas.)
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 AM

I've let all my subscriptions lapse.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 AM

oh yes, and also tired of the ones that send you a notice, 6 months into the subscription, saying payment is due and your subscription is about to end...like the one I just got from Quiltmaker. Of course, there was no phone number to call, so I wrote them a little note and will mail it back to them. 6 months early, saying my subscription will end Jan 30, if I don't renew. My check is dated July, 2010. For 1 year subs.