Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else disappointed in Quilt Extravaganza in Oaks, PA >

Anyone else disappointed in Quilt Extravaganza in Oaks, PA

Anyone else disappointed in Quilt Extravaganza in Oaks, PA

Old 09-24-2014, 03:57 AM

I went and I thought it was wonderful. The quilts were outstanding. I was totally satisfied with the vendors. There was nothing missing as far as I was concerned. I took a class on Friday afternoon, and I was completely satisfied with it. I had a particular question I had wanted to ask that has plagued me for years, and I got the answer to it. I stayed at the Hanover Inn, and it was a lovely place to stay. They served an outstanding breakfast, it was close to the convention center, and I would definitely go again next year.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 AM

There was another point I wanted to make about the vendors. Vendors also have a lot more competition than they used to, and that's called online. There is nothing that I can get at a vendor that I can't get online with free shipping and a cheaper price per yard. I recall at a show there was only one vendor that was making money hand over fist, and that was a thread vendor. Sold nothing but thread. People were buying hundreds of dollars worth of thread at a clip, and there was always a crowd at this particular booth. There was another one I recall that was doing a "brisk" business that sold nothing but fat quarters. I know a woman who owns a shop and makes kits whenever she goes to a show as a vendor. It's easier for her to carry, is very enticing to customers at the show to see the kits already made up, and she does well. Not stupendously well, but well. Like everything else in this world, vendors need to concentrate on one item and one item alone. Perhaps a booth of nothing but precuts would make out very well. What I saw there was one booth after another selling basically the same thing -- fabric and notions. That's it. Nothing I couldn't get online. It's unfortunate, but a reality of life. I have also been told, and I don't know how true this is, that attendance at quilt shows is down. I don't know why, but that's what I have been told. Anyway, that's my take on the problem that I see as far as vendors, but I did love the quilts themselves. I thought they were absolutely wonderful.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 AM

I attended the Oaks show and was quite happy with it. I did check out the quilts on display and noticed that there were empty sections set up for I'm thinking more quilts to display. I looked like they didn't get as many finished quilts as they expected. Such a shame, but the ones there were very nice. I like the traditional over the modern because they seem to be easier for me to do. The vendors did all seem to have much the same thing. I go to buy and get ideas. My main source for purchases is the internet but there are a few QS in my area that I go to also. All in all, I enjoyed my day at Oaks and look forward to going each year.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM

I have plans to attend my very 1st quilt show in Houston at the end of Oct, I sure hope it bigger than the ones being described here, but then I wouldn't know the difference since this will be my 1st & could be my last if I'm not impressed. It's a 4 hour drive so DH & I are planning on making it a weekend alone together too so at least I'll be enjoying that part
Jeri
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM

oldtisme, are you talking about THE Houston quilt show?
http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival
They don't get any bigger than this...it may spoil you for quilt shows forever

As far as vendors at guild shows, that isn't where I shop period. Maybe one in three shows I'll walk through the vendors but I never buy. I'm there to see quilts, to be inspired, entertained, poked with a wake up stick..."Hey, look at me, bet you never thought of this..."
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Will be interesting to see what the upcoming Quilt show in Des Moines will be like.
I am looking forward to that show, too. But I have to agree that I don't want to shop for clothes or jewelry or lotions at a quilt show. I want fabric and patterns and thread and stencils, quilting stuff in general.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have plans to attend my very 1st quilt show in Houston at the end of Oct, I sure hope it bigger than the ones being described here, but then I wouldn't know the difference since this will be my 1st & could be my last if I'm not impressed.
I second Kalama Quilts - you will absolutely be impressed. Wear comfy shoes, bring your camera (watch out for the "no photos" section) and definitely plan on going through more than once. It can be overwhelming to take in that many wonderful quilts at one time.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:38 PM

when I went to Lancaster they had so many booths with fabric I just couldn't say "no" to. The Eleanor Burns booth was awesome - didn't have it in Oaks. I left with two 5-yard packs.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 PM

The Oaks, PA show is put on by Mancuso; all they do is put on shows. I wondered if a show put on by AQS or NQS would have more of the traditional quilts that I wanted to see.

I loved the vendors @ Oaks, but wasn't looking for a lot of fabrics. I was looking for patterns and notions. Yes, I could order most of them online - but not many shops carry more than one or two of the things I wanted. I don't wnt to pay $10 shipping on an order for a $2 tube of a specific needles. Other things, I wanted to see - for example, quilting thread - so I could judge the color. A new thimble, that I wanted to try on. Another - that I LOVE - that I didn't know I wanted, lol. I'd never heard of this before and although it looks like one made by Clover (I think), it's so much better it shouldn't be compared. After pushing the needle through with the metal end, I can grip, if needed, with my fingers using the silicone portion of the thimble to pull through. No need for a second gripper or cot.
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...07&oe=54CA48D2