Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This? >

Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I made three Dresden Plate quilts because I cut out too many blades and didn't want them laying in a tub. I did get tired of them and probably won't make another one. Dealing with myself is not always easy. I have made several patterns a couple of times using different colors. Whatever I make is always my choice.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM

wow, I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this topic. I agree with Mckwliter that I choose a different quilt pattern "to learn a new technique" or to use a collection of fabric. I gift my quilts to family and friends and there (knock on wood) have been no expectations or specific request, otherwise, it may not be enjoyable for me.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Glad to know I am not the only one. When someone really loves something I have done, I find it difficult not to agree to make one for them. The fun is in doing for others. IMHO
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 PM

I find quick, easy cute patterns and make quite a few when I remember more intricate, complicated quilts that turned out beautifully ( at least to me), It's time for one of those!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM

I've made a couple of different sizes of the Turning Twenty quilts and don't tire of them because the possibilities are so many. I've also made a few t-shirt quilts - two were hired to be done and the others were gifts. I love doing the t-shirts because none of them have been identical and on the last two I've been given 'artistic freedom' on. Only once have I been asked to make a quilt for someone and that after she had seen the Turning Twenty quilt I had made for myself...the requester told me she wanted "that print and that one and that one, but not that one". I told her to go and purchase the number of FQs required in the colors she wanted, and the amount of batting for said project, and the yardage required for backing. Needless to say, I never heard any more from her.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:33 PM

I will remake string blockis to use up scraps and strips because I don't want to throw a usable size away (though what does get pitched goes into old pillowcases and delivered to our local pet shelter). There are a couple patterns I have made more than once but generally I'm on to the next bright and shiny object. I can definitely see getting burned out on the rag quilts. I think you will have to say no -- or at least put them off for at least a year. Or teach them how to make their own? Have a workshop and bring everyone together (I know - easier said than done).
Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I try not to do repeats
Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM
yel

i just tell people that i can't make 2 of anything ....close maybe but no 2 alike .....bags ,quilts and everyother thing that happens to come out of the cave