Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This? >

Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Default Is Anyone Else Guilty of Doing This?

Lately, when I have been quilting, it seems I have to make several of the same quilt pattern. Although they are more time consumming than difficult, I have had to make about 12 rag quilts. It seems one person sees one and then they want one and another person sees that one, and so on and so on. I am tired of making these right now but have several I have to complete. Just wondered if I am the only one who finds themselves in a rut?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 AM

I make a few of the same scrap and string quilts over again, but that is just an ongoing practice to keep my scraps under control and to have quilts ready for donation. Mindless sewing. I don't take requests for quilts unless DH asks for one, and that is only because he supports my habit and it is usually intended for someone who really needs some comfort.

I like to make what I want to make.

Last edited by DebraK; 09-17-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

​I very rarely make the same quilt twice. There are so many quilts on my "to do" list that I am eager to move to the next one.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Not really. I am good at saying "no" and going at my own pace.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 AM

If a particular design strikes my fancy and I want to try it several different ways (like a d9p for instance) then I may do more than one, but usually I'm eager to try the next style that has caught my eye.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Right now I have a "Honey Do List" /request of my own. With the holidays and some birthdays coming up. I'm busy w/HD.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 AM

I had to make 8 rag quilts one year. Like you, one sees them and the list just kept growing for recipients. Not sure I ever want to see flannel again. I don't usually make the same pattern more than once. Unless it is a baby quilt that really special.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I sounds like you are quilting only to please others, and so you feel that you "have to" make the quilts they ask for. When someone wants a quilt just like someone else received, just tell them that you're no longer taking orders for duplicates.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM

Oh being nice sucks doesn't it! Its supposed to make us feel good. If it's not, well somethings not right. Maybe you could just whip them together willy nilly. who cares if they look good, then no one will ask for another. Have a sewing party with your quilty friends and knock all out quick! Offer to show the receiver how to make such an easy quilt! Giving the gift of self sufficancy is much more admirable than doing it all for them!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM

I rarely make a quilt more than once. Usually, my purpose is to learn a new technique or to use some great fabric I just found. I have made several rag quilts, but only about one a year. Anything more frequents would be extremely boring. You don't say if you are making these quilts for money or for love. If it's for money, then it's your decision based upon whether you want/need the money, but it it's for love and the love is gone, it's time to just say no. The next time you make one to give away and you get requests, offer to teach them how to make it for themselves. I bet you get no takers.