Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else suffer from neck and shoulder pain while sewing? >

Anyone else suffer from neck and shoulder pain while sewing?

Anyone else suffer from neck and shoulder pain while sewing?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
j

My husband just made a top for my ironing board and the height at its highest is great for cutting, My 18 cutting mat fits there. Now dont laugh, I needed a place for my sewing machine that would be even with the surface. So after many ideas, I pulled out the middle leaf of the dining room table and he built a shelf there so my machine is even with the table. I had a plastic quilting board and it slides on to the machine and covers the back area of th machine. When I want to put the machine away, just pull the leaf back into place and your table is again ready for eating. No marks to the top side and so far is working great. -- J
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM

I was told by one of you to put door stop's to raise the back of my machine up so I did not have to bend over so far and it sure helped me a lot.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I was told by one of you to put door stop's to raise the back of my machine up so I did not have to bend over so far and it sure helped me a lot.
My wife has a Tilt-a-ble and I purchased a less expensive variation and we both love them. They help avoid some of the strain of bending over looking at your work. I understand a board member sells them, but I can't remember who. In the pics below the machines are tilted front down, but we also move them so the front is tilted up, and I think the variety helps.

I have also seen the suggestion above, but I haven't tried it. I hope you find something that helps.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails platforms-001.jpg   platforms-003.jpg  

Last edited by wesing; 01-17-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Thank you everyone so much for your answers and support!! I will try all of these at some stage to try and relieve the pain. The last thing I want to happen is for me to no longer sew because I'm in too much pain.

The tilt idea is a good one, I might start off with a door stop or something and if it makes a difference I'll go ahead and purchase a proper one.

I do lots of stretches and get massages when ever I can. I think my main problem is being so tense while I sew! Quite often I'll catch myself with my shoulders tensed right up towards my neck...can't be good. I've asked my husband to let me know if he catches me doing it so I can relax!!

Thanks again everyone, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM

I use Voltaren gel to help with the aches and pains its so much better than the A535 stuff, and I alternate my time between piecing and sewing I don't do either activity for more than 20 mins and I take breaks in between. Even if I go to class at the LQS my instructor will tap me on the shoulder and say shouldn't you switch up. She knows I have a lot of major issues with my back and my shoulders. A friend had me try their Bio Freeze over the holidays and that works very fast as well to relieve the aches and pains, she's got Osteo Arthritis of the spine and dealing with a frozen shoulder as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Pepita I think I'll try what you said about putting something in back of machine and see if it helps probably the cheapest try and if it doesn't work I'm going to try to take a couple of cans and make something to hand it over my shoulders/back to see if it helps. I have a new chair but it seems that if I sit to long I get sciatic pain in my leg there is something about the way they make the cushions on the chairs. I guess I'll have to make me a cushion to put over it if you could just get comfortable for a little while. Sue
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

I suffer from severe sciatica as well and the best thing I found is a gel pad cushion that fits into any chair even my car seat, it's made from gel and its designed to take the load off of your tail bone so your not trapping the nerve it makes a huge difference I take it everywhere I go. It's made by ObusForme here is a link to it:
http://www.obusforme.ca/obus_forme/s...k-cushion.html

Originally Posted by ging10ging View Post
Pepita I think I'll try what you said about putting something in back of machine and see if it helps probably the cheapest try and if it doesn't work I'm going to try to take a couple of cans and make something to hand it over my shoulders/back to see if it helps. I have a new chair but it seems that if I sit to long I get sciatic pain in my leg there is something about the way they make the cushions on the chairs. I guess I'll have to make me a cushion to put over it if you could just get comfortable for a little while. Sue
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM

I do suffer if I sit more than 30 minutes or so without getting up - so my ironing board is across the room. I exercise every morning with a group which relaxes my neck and shoulders and I wear a support on my left elbow which helps. My left arm seems to suffer the most abuse because I hold my ruler with it when I cut, I hold fabric with it when I hand sew, etc. Simple shoulder rolls and walking around for a minute or so will help.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM

I use those rubber door stops under the back of my machine sure helps.

Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
I think this is a common problem. I am getting old, and like my husband get plenty of kinks! A cervical collar helps, your head is really heavy, and the heat and the support help. The other thing I have noticed is that when I start quilting I often raise my shoulders to help more the fabric etc. and it does nothing but cause lots of pain! I got a table tray thing that tilts my machine forward--Now i have one of the sew easy tables and can't use it, but it forces you to sit back in the chair. Try it, just put something about an inch high at the back of your sewing machine base, the 'table' tilts towards you, and you sit back.
You may also try one of those back shoulder supports they sell in the quilting magazines. I don't know what they are called but it makes you have good posture.

Don't know if any of this would help, but I don't think it would hurt to try.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 AM

neck, shoulder and hip.....I'm falling apart but I'll do it at my machine