Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone ever use Steam-a-seam

I've used lots of steam-a-seam and have always had good luck with it. Especially like the fact that you can reposition a piece if needed , it will stay until you are ready to iron it down. I started using it in 2002 when I could buy it by the yard and now I can only find it in packaged sheets. When the paper side is off, there's really no right side.

I use both Steam-A-Seam (regular and lite) and Wonder Under and love both. It all depends on which I have on hand and when the last sale at Joann's was, which is when I usually stock up. Steam-A-Seam can be a bit trickier. If you don't use the right amount of heat and steam for the right amount of time, it may not adhere as well. For projects that will be used and laundered frequently, I stitch the appliques down with a blind hem stitch.

They sell it by the yard on e-bay. I just bought 2 yards before I knew I would have difficulty with it. I'm gonna try it again but got some good advise here and from my friend.

I just bought some by-the-yard at hancocks-paducah.com.

I cut the bottom out of a big paper grocery sack and slip it over my ironing board when using any fusible.
    What a brilliant idea bellaboo! I will have to do that when get the new ironing board cover to replace the one I just fused stuff to! LOL

Well ladies I went to see my friend and she helped me use this steam a seam stuff. I did a star and it turned out great. Now I'm ready to tackle my poinsettia. Hope it works as good as it did this morning.

I've used steam a seam but found that if I used too much heat it would not stick where I needed it to stick. You need to be careful with the heat temperature. Heat and Bond does hold, but if you are sewing over it, my machine skips stitches and the needle gets gummed up. Its mostly for projects that don't need to be stitched. My favorite is wonder under, but if it is old it tends to separate from the backing paper which makes it harder to work with, but it does still stick. 505 is a spray that sticks things down just enough to work with, and doesn't leave the project stiff after sewing like the fusibles.

I finally got it to work. You can follow the link to see the 1st part of the quilt.

I'm working on the second one now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17222.page

Gee, I am surprized with all the negative comments about steam a seam. I use seam a seam II all the time and haven't had any problems with it. The trick with it is that the iron has to be hot and on the steam setting, then you LIGHTLY iron over the steam a seam. I have left the paper on for days and probably weeks after ironing and did not have a problem removing the paper. The trick is LIGHTLY ironing. Give it a try everyone, I think you will all be a lot happier.

I have tried to use steam a seam and much prefer heat and bond lite When doing applique I just put the heat and bond around the edges of the shape to be fused as this makes it not so stiff and easier to quilt I dont mund the narrow steam a seam but the other to expensive Good Luck :D

Hello from Montana
    I use Steam A Seam all of the time. Took several applique classes and one teacher recommended Wonder Under, another something else, but a veteran quilter said to use Steam a Seam. I love it because you can reposition it before ironing it down. I don't use anything else. You have to remember which side of the paper you are tearing off (if that makes sense.

Hi there
    I use Steam- a -seam quite a bit and find that the age of the webbing is a major factor. If it is starting to part company with the paper backing it is a bit nuisance and in fact is old stock. Use a DRY iron to fuse it to the material and trace the pattern in reverse to get it the right way round for your patchwork.
    Quiltykiwi :D

Here is the link to the poinsettia block of my Rachel's Flower Garden quilt. I am disappointed with the look of this one. I may add another flower some day. I did use the seam-a-steam2 on this one. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17262.page

It sure is interesting to read everyone's opinions. I much prefer Steam a Seam, even though I have to buy it in small packages. I LOVE being able to move it around until I am sure about where I want the pieces before pressing them into place. The other stuff won't stick on a temporary basis. I have used both Heat and Bond and Wonder Under, but I still prefer S a S. I guess maybe I have never left the paper on overnight. I think I have always continued to work until everything is fused and all of the paper is off. I am so sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Wendy

No more problems now. Everyone helped me out and my friend did give me a hands on working with it.

LOL Guess this subject has been beaten to death. Glad you got the help you needed.

Blog Entries
    Bellaboo - using a grocery bag to save the ironing board - super idea!

I decided I didn't like the poinsettia because the bottom flower wasn't in the middle. I was able to pull it up and it didn't leave any residue. I moved it to the middle and ironed it down again and it stayed. I like it much better now.

I use Steam a Seam for appliques too & I like it a lot. I buy it by the yard at the quilt shop & it's quite reasonable that way. If you buy the packages of 5 sheets, it can be costly, check with your quilt shop or in a catalog. Connecting Threads used to have it but I don't see it anymore in their catalog?

I bought it on ebay. The only problem with that is shipping but I bought 4 yards and she shipped it all together so total cost was $20.40. I don't know if that is bad or not. I will check the quilt shops some day but my friend bought a whole box and she said she would sell me some at her cost so I can't go wrong there.

I don't like it at all. It was really hard to work with. I prefer wonderunder or ultra bond. It was a real mess, the paper kept coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I cut the bottom out of a big paper grocery sack and slip it over my ironing board when using any fusible.
    :thumbup: I'm a big fan of the brown paper sack. When I run out, I ask the grocer to use paper sacks. There comes a time when you can have too many plastic grocery bags, right?

It works good, but you have to make sure your drawing on the right side so stuff doesn't come out backwards

Think I know why I didn't like the Steam to a Seam. It was old like someone else said. The paper kept coming off & you couldn't tell what side you were suppose to work with. Live & learn. I might try again, I don't know.

I've found out that either side works and if the paper come off I just put it back on. Maybe if you put a little tape on the sides it will stay on until you are ready to cut it. I have even take one side of the paper off to draw on it before I cut it.

March 8, 2009 In the newest "Quilters Newsletter" magazine, April/May 2009/No.409, there is an article titled, "Hidden Landscapes," by Kathryn Wagar Wright with Irene Berry, from which I will quote. "I recommend Steam-a-Seam Lite because it has a sticky side that lets you position the parts temporarily and move them while you're planning."
    Wendy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2