Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone ever use Steam-a-seam >

Anyone ever use Steam-a-seam

Anyone ever use Steam-a-seam

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Oh I am sorry you are having trouble with the steam a seam II. I have used it and I kind of like some things about it being that one side is sticky and it stay's put until you press. I think it depends on where you bought it whether it is "fresh" or not, and that seems to make a big difference in the performance factor of the product.

I bought some at a quilt store (three sheet pack)and it worked great. So, when I saw some at a fabric discount warehouse, I bought it by the yard. Boy, I hate the last batch and am going to just toss the won't stick or paper won't come off stuff right out. Who needs all that extra hassle?

I am thinking that the first set was enclosed in plastic and kept the sticky from drying out. the other being by the yard and exposed, is just ruined.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Hmmmm, I never use anything but steam a seam... You might try spritzing the paper backing with a little water then try to get it off... I have left the second piece of paper on mine for a looong time without problems. You don't have to leave the hot iron very long to adhere, could you have left it to long and it really setup? I'm just owndering out loud so to speak/type....

I have to stop and think when I need to reverse a pattern so it's facing the correct way up. That sometimes is a pain.

It will gunk up a iron fast if not careful with placing something over it. I use paper sacks if I have nothing else handy. I finally bought a pressing paper just for this.

Sure hope you get it to work for you. I just love the stuff.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM

I already gave up on using it for now I'm just using heat and bond. My friend told me my iron must have been too hot. I suppose when I go see her this week I'll take some along and get some hands on for use the next time. I only had 5 sheets and I have 12 different projects on this BOM so I would have to buy more now that I've ruined most of it. I did order 2 yards on e-bay but sounds like it might be dried out when I get it. I don't think I'll do another project like this one. Way too much cutting out of tiny pieces. Just cutting stem and leaves right now. ekk
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM

I got heat bond lite and its softer than steam a seam lite....I guess what is most important is what works the best for each of us. Thats why there are several brands :D
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I cut the bottom out of a big paper grocery sack and slip it over my ironing board when using any fusible.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM

I've used lots of steam-a-seam and have always had good luck with it. Especially like the fact that you can reposition a piece if needed , it will stay until you are ready to iron it down. I started using it in 2002 when I could buy it by the yard and now I can only find it in packaged sheets. When the paper side is off, there's really no right side.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM

I use both Steam-A-Seam (regular and lite) and Wonder Under and love both. It all depends on which I have on hand and when the last sale at Joann's was, which is when I usually stock up. Steam-A-Seam can be a bit trickier. If you don't use the right amount of heat and steam for the right amount of time, it may not adhere as well. For projects that will be used and laundered frequently, I stitch the appliques down with a blind hem stitch.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM

They sell it by the yard on e-bay. I just bought 2 yards before I knew I would have difficulty with it. I'm gonna try it again but got some good advise here and from my friend.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM

I just bought some by-the-yard at hancocks-paducah.com.

I cut the bottom out of a big paper grocery sack and slip it over my ironing board when using any fusible.
What a brilliant idea bellaboo! I will have to do that when get the new ironing board cover to replace the one I just fused stuff to! LOL
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Well ladies I went to see my friend and she helped me use this steam a seam stuff. I did a star and it turned out great. Now I'm ready to tackle my poinsettia. Hope it works as good as it did this morning.