Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party? >

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 AM

Ours was last week, a new member offered her home for the meeting/party. OH MY--her basement is a Christmas wonderland. One room was filled with a Christmas Village with lots of moving pieces. Example is skaters on a pond that go round and round, Over 1,000 Santa Claus items. All the way from a 1" x 3" Santa and sleigh, to a 4 ft one that was by the tree. There were cross stitch Santas, painted Santas, Stuffed Santas ceramic Santas and about anything you could imagine. One tree upstairs was white and had sterling silver Santa ornaments and clear lights to reflect on the ornaments. Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.
She has collected for way over 30 years and friends always gift her with "another Santa". The newest was Santa as a chef. A friend from Oklahoma just sent that one to her.
Then cookie exchange, and of course wine tasting (grin)
Just an amazingly interesting party.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Ours was last week, a new member offered her home for the meeting/party. OH MY--her basement is a Christmas wonderland. One room was filled with a Christmas Village with lots of moving pieces. Example is skaters on a pond that go round and round, Over 1,000 Santa Claus items. All the way from a 1" x 3" Santa and sleigh, to a 4 ft one that was by the tree. There were cross stitch Santas, painted Santas, Stuffed Santas ceramic Santas and about anything you could imagine. One tree upstairs was white and had sterling silver Santa ornaments and clear lights to reflect on the ornaments. Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.
She has collected for way over 30 years and friends always gift her with "another Santa". The newest was Santa as a chef. A friend from Oklahoma just sent that one to her.
Then cookie exchange, and of course wine tasting (grin)
Just an amazingly interesting party.
The Mrs Wright story is neat too. Will pass that to next years committee.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 AM

We have one tomorrow, Monday. We bring a decorated brown paper bag filled with one yard of material and anything else we want to put in it, ie: buttons, ribbon, etc. At the July meeting that person brings in something made with those articles.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

marymm, I loved your story!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 AM

One of the Guilds I belong to BHQG had a wonderful Pot Luck, and If you wanted to participate you could bring a $10.00 wrapped gift(not required), 3 fat Quarters (only if you wanted to play the game) for a game called Left, Right Center. They also have several quilts (believe this year it was 3 Toppers and 4 or 5 twin size quilts)and or table topper (Christmasy) that thru out the year or part of the year they sell chances to have, thru a drawing at the Christmas Party for Guild Memebers. The money made from this raffle is for the Project Warmth Quilts that are made.
This year for the gifts everybody (about a 140 attended though some elect to not bring gifts)) was to stand in a circle with their gift and one of the gals read "The Night Before Christmas" and everytime you heard the word "The" you passed the present to the left. Whichever present you had at the end of the story was your to keep. It was a Blast!
The game Left, Right , Center is quite fun too! It is played with three dice and the 3 fat quarters. We broke down into several circle groups I think 5. The dice have an L, and R, a C and a Dot on them. The first time you roll the dice you roll all three. Then you do what the dice says with your fat Quarters, If you rolled an R, and L and a dot then one of your fat quarters you would hand to the left, one to the right and the dot meant you got to keep that one. If you rolled a C then that fat Quarter would end up in the center. The next time you roll the dice would depend on how many fat quarters you have left and then that is how many dice you would roll. The main object of the game is to be the last person with a fat quarter and win all the fat quarters that end up in the center.(eventually they all end up there but the winning one). It was tons of fun!
They also hand out yearly membership pins for 10 years,20 years, and had 30 years too. Pretty Neat!

The 2nd Guild I belong to HMQG also has a Pot Luck(lots of Yummy food), and then prior to the party if you wanted you could make a set of tea pots with tea cup. For every set you made you could put your name in to get a set back. ( there were some beautiful ones made).Then at the begining of the year they had decided for everytime you brought a Show and Tell to a meeting you would get your name in a drawing at the Christmas Party for different gifts. Though this year some of them we're previous owned items(which I personally did not think was too neat))**Sorry My moment of gripe*** a warped photo album***)(A far cry from the Accu cut that was mentioned at the begining of the year that was a NO show)
All in All they both were fun and tons of food were brought.

It is neat to read about the different ideas each guild has.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:31 AM

I agree - thanks for the story
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM

Weblink for quilt guild games: http://www.quiltguilds.com/games.htm

I belong to three guilds and each has a holiday party, and here are some of the games/activities we do/have done:
- Holiday Lottery Block: everyone who brings a holiday quilt block gets a numbered drawing ticket; tickets are deposited into a container from winner(s) are drawn. Blocks always have a set size and specify colors OR block pattern OR theme (stars, gingerbread men, embellished Christmas trees - you get the idea). One guild purchased fabric from a local vendor at a great discount, which was cut into 12" squares for every participant; the fabric was made available at the September, October & November meetings for 25 cents; the money went to purchase a nice gift for a Mystery Raffle, whose proceeds went to a local domestic violence organization one winter and to purchase toys for a local print shop sponsoring gifts for kids in a local residential home another year. ANYWAY, the selected fabric unified the quilt. Drawings can be for "packages" of 5 blocks submitted, for a number that would make a quilt (9 blocks, 12 blocks), or a wall hanging (3 blocks), or for the whole kit and kaboodle. The smaller packages of prizes makes sure more people get something they enjoyed participating in, and lets you "tier" the prizes for more drama.
- Fat quarter exchange or lottery (similar/same rules for the holiday lottery block)
- Pot holder exchange (bring one, get one)
- Cookie exchange (bring a plate, get a plate)
- Ornament exchange (the best have had a designated theme such as stars, embellished trees, gingerbread men, etc. with an approximate size or template provided)

The most fun game we had in two of the guilds was "Guess the name of this Quilt Block" - one guild worked in table teams, the other was Every Quilter for Herself. There were tie-breakers "just in case."
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Our guild has an annual potluck with ham provided by the guild. We exchange ornaments and yard cuts of fabric (we use the right, left story). We also have a country store available for members to sell stuff.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Just had our BVQ Christmas party. We all bring something to eat or drink - noone coordinates it and the funny thing is that it works out perfectly. Last year we did the silent auction and that was fun. This year everyone brought a gift and we did the
"Mrs. Wright" poem that someone already posted here. That went over very big - UNTIL THE END. WE ALL ENDED UP WITH OUR OWN GIFTS! So, we did one more LEFT and got something new. It was really lots of fun. I recommend this poem to you.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Here is the different right left story:

Cookies for Santa - a Holiday game
Each person brings a wrapped quilt related gift. The group stands or sits in a
circle and someone reads the following story. The gifts are passed LEFT or
RIGHT as word is said. When the game ends, open the gift you have!
Mr. & Mrs. WRIGHT woke up early on the day before Christmas. Mrs.
WRIGHT planned to bake some cookies for Santa's visit. She told Mr.
WRIGHT, "I want to have just the RIGHT cookie for Santa when he comes
tonight."
She looked in the pantry and discovered that she had no sugar LEFT.
"WRIGHT," Mrs. WRIGHT cried, "I have no sugar LEFT in my pantry. I
need some to bake just the RIGHT cookie for Santa. Will you go to the store
to get some for me?"
WRIGHT said, "You're RIGHT. I'll go RIGHT now." And he LEFT
immediately.
Mrs. WRIGHT began to prepare her cookie batter. When she reached for the
sack of flour, she saw there was only a little flour LEFT...not nearly enough
to make her cookies. "Oh dear," said Mrs. WRIGHT. "Mr. WRIGHT just
LEFT for the store. He will not like to have to go back again." Mrs.
WRIGHT quickly LEFT her baking and called the grocer. "This is Mrs.
WRIGHT. My husband, Mr. WRIGHT just LEFT to get some sugar at your
store. I just discovered I don't have enough flour LEFT for my cookies. Will
you tell him to buy some flour too?"
"Oh Mrs. WRIGHT," the grocer said, "Mr. WRIGHT just LEFT with your
sugar. In fact, he bought the only sack we had LEFT on the shelf. I'll try to
catch him RIGHT quick so he can bring your flour too. We have plenty of
that LEFT."
Just then Mr. WRIGHT drove up with the sack of sugar. "Here Mrs.
WRIGHT. This is the only sack they had LEFT."
"Oh Mr. WRIGHT," said Mrs. WRIGHT. "I don't have enough flour LEFT
to bake Santa's cookies. I tried to catch you at the grocers but you had already LEFT."
"Oh no," said Mr. WRIGHT. "I'll go RIGHT back." And he LEFT
immediately.
Mrs. WRIGHT turned RIGHT around and went back into her kitchen.
Suddenly she realized she had not bought any butter for the cookies either.
"Oh my," she exclaimed, "How can I bake the RIGHT cookie for Santa
without butter!"
She called the grocer again and asked him to tell Mr. WRIGHT to bring
butter too.
Fortunately, Mr. WRIGHT had not LEFT the store yet. When he returned
home, Mrs. WRIGHT said, "Bring in the flour and butter RIGHT now so I
can bake Santa's cookies."
Mr. WRIGHT began carrying lots of bags into the kitchen. "All RIGHT,
what's all this?" said Mrs. WRIGHT.
"Well," said Mr. WRIGHT, "I didn't want to have to go back to the store
again so besides your flour and butter I bought all the cookies the grocer had
LEFT. That way Santa is sure to have the RIGHT cookie.