Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM

I'de be interested. I buy old wool skirts take them apart and felt them. I haven't hand died very much but would like to learn. neena
Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM

Primitive Gatherings has some beautiful things as well. I've dabbled with wool - would be interested in working on a project along with others. I have enough scraps left to do a small project. I'd be inerested to learn some of the stitches shown in your work...have only done the running and blanket stitches.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

wool applique is one of my favorite pass-times... i love working with wool and am always on the lookout for a new garment to cut up and re-dye :thumbup: my hubby has even become quite involved with my love of wool, when we visit any yard sales or thrift stores he is the first one to start checking tags and grabbing up all the wools :D and when we get them home he enjoys helping me dis-assemble in preparation of laundering.
i have penny rugs all over the place and have been working on a wool crazy quilt (with embroidered and embellished blocks) i have a couple dozen blocks made but no-where near enough.
ahhhh the joy of WOOL! i just love it!
my black ('BACKYARD GATHERING') wool appliqued quilt even appraised at $3700!!!
and it was such a pleasure to work on!...poor thing-now it lives in a pillowcase on a closet shelf :roll: (it is black...we own a white cat) one of these days i should get it out and sell it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
Originally Posted by gal288
I'm in I love working with wool. I'm currently marking a Partridge in a Pear Tree Wallhanging for next xmas.

Your blocks are beautiful, love the colors and details.
Wow gal288 - this is beautiful! And it looks really large! How long has it taken you?
I started it a week before xmas, like I thought I'd get it done! Idea came to me from an xmas card we received.

Anyway, it's 36" long, 18" wide, has not taken long, just simple buttonhole edging.
I used an old blazer I wasn't wearing, felted it and cut bias strips from the back for the stems.

Haven't figured out how I'm going to finish the edges, tongues will be too heavy to hang, it's on my design board and I will figure it out. After all it's only February and I have to November, right?

I'll be happy to participate, and help design our own quilt if everyone wants. All we need to do is select a theme everyone is interested in, and decide on a size.

I love designing and would rather spend my money on more fabric than purchasing a pattern!!

How does everyone feel about that?
:lol:
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
wool applique is one of my favorite pass-times... i love working with wool and am always on the lookout for a new garment to cut up and re-dye :thumbup: my hubby has even become quite involved with my love of wool, when we visit any yard sales or thrift stores he is the first one to start checking tags and grabbing up all the wools :D and when we get them home he enjoys helping me dis-assemble in preparation of laundering.
i have penny rugs all over the place and have been working on a wool crazy quilt (with embroidered and embellished blocks) i have a couple dozen blocks made but no-where near enough.
ahhhh the joy of WOOL! i just love it!
my black ('BACKYARD GATHERING') wool appliqued quilt even appraised at $3700!!!
and it was such a pleasure to work on!...poor thing-now it lives in a pillowcase on a closet shelf :roll: (it is black...we own a white cat) one of these days i should get it out and sell it.
Would love to see the Backyard, post a photo.

Know what you mean about cats, I have 3 and made a black fireplace rug and of course they have to lay on it. I'm forever brushing the hair off. The sacrifices were make for our pets!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 AM

Here is another interesting wool website, I've seen her quilts in person at a local quilt show, they are stunning.

http://www.wildthymespatternco.com/blocks/index.html
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM

Wool quilts make beautiful wallhangings but believe me, you don't want to sleep under one. When I was a child, many years ago, my Mom and Gran made wool quilts out on men's discarded clothing etc., these were so heavy that you had to sleep with your feet sideways. Anyone else know about these???
Happy sewing, Kutnso
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

I LOVE wool!! Easy to work with, great colors and I love the feel. This is my wool shop- http://thelittlewoolshoppe.com/lwindex.html
I am lucky enough to live about 15 minutes away and it is wonderful. Connie just did a sampler/crazy quilt that was stunning, kickingmyself for not getting into the class.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM

I just started working on wool pincushions which is the first time I've used wool and so far I'm having a blast. I'd be interested in learning. Truthfully, I'm not sure what to use wool for :oops: I'd love to see pics of wool projects. Is the sewing done by hand or machine? BTW, love the pictures posted.

Susan
Old 02-17-2011, 07:12 AM

I love working with wool. Usually I make small Christmas ornaments. Have 3 original design bird ornaments. I have a funky program on my computer and until I get my BIL to help me I can't post pics but I am going to bookmark this for future reference.