Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts" >

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Anyone interested in Wool Applique Quilts"

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM

I would really like to learn. What are you thinking of doing?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
Here is another interesting wool website, I've seen her quilts in person at a local quilt show, they are stunning.

http://www.wildthymespatternco.com/blocks/index.html
I love Wild Thymes wool. One time a couple of years ago before wool became so popular I won an auction on ebay for a kit by Wild thymes that they actually still had on their website for about 300.00. I got it for 9.99. I am still using all the wools from it for my own projects. It was enough different colors to keep me happy for a long long time. What a find that was!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
I bought Gretchen Gibbons book ('Pennies From Heaven') because I want to make a wool quilt. I am collecting wools now and expect it to take awhile to have enough.
Oh my gosh! How come I didn't know about this lady-Sue Spargo? I am such a Piecker!
I also have this book. I love the idea of working with cottons and wools together. I have checked into it and you need to fortify the cotton backing with a light interfacing in order to sew wool onto the cotton - there was an interfacing recommended to me that is like a light muslin with a fusible side. I'll find the name of it and let you know. I woudl love to work on the quilt in that book some day.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
I bought Gretchen Gibbons book ('Pennies From Heaven') because I want to make a wool quilt. I am collecting wools now and expect it to take awhile to have enough.
Oh my gosh! How come I didn't know about this lady-Sue Spargo? I am such a Piecker!
My February BOM kit is due any day from Sue Spargo. How would you like me to photo the kit and let you guys see what's in it?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by farmer623
Where do you get your wool to dye? I love the look. A couple of years ago I saw a wool quilt on the wall of an antique store and fell in love with it. When I went back, they were using it as a rug. The area (near Nashville) flooded last year, and I still think about that quilt. I'm sure it is gone. What a waste.
I live in the town of the Pendleton Wool headquarters and outlet. Every once in a while I go to their "truck sale" and can get 3 yards of cream wool that is 66 inches wide for $30.00. Then also I scrounge and find wool apparel that I take apart. Some I leave and use the plaids and some I dye or overdye. I use ProChemical acid dyed and my kitchen is full of steam and plastic wrap as I cover everything before I start. I will post some pics of my wools.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by neenas
I'de be interested. I buy old wool skirts take them apart and felt them. I haven't hand died very much but would like to learn. neena
I love finding wool clothes to take apart. Unfortunately in this town (Portland, OR) I am not the only one doing this so have a lot of competition at the thrift stores. Sometimes I find stuff on craigslist but not often. Right now I have quite a stash to overdye so I'm happy for a while. HA - never enough wool or fabric.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
wool applique is one of my favorite pass-times... i love working with wool and am always on the lookout for a new garment to cut up and re-dye :thumbup: my hubby has even become quite involved with my love of wool, when we visit any yard sales or thrift stores he is the first one to start checking tags and grabbing up all the wools :D and when we get them home he enjoys helping me dis-assemble in preparation of laundering.
i have penny rugs all over the place and have been working on a wool crazy quilt (with embroidered and embellished blocks) i have a couple dozen blocks made but no-where near enough.
ahhhh the joy of WOOL! i just love it!
my black ('BACKYARD GATHERING') wool appliqued quilt even appraised at $3700!!!
and it was such a pleasure to work on!...poor thing-now it lives in a pillowcase on a closet shelf :roll: (it is black...we own a white cat) one of these days i should get it out and sell it.
Ckwool - You have to get your quilt out and take pics and post them for us. If nothing else you can share your work with the world instead of the inside of your closet. I woudl really love to see your quilt! pretty please???
Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm doing a wool applique.It's the moda green piece BOM from 2009. A girlfriend was going to quilt it for a customer. I fell in love with it. Our LQS has a habit of way overbuying and they had one last kit. I am doing hand stitching (button hole) and embroidery on the pieces. It's been alot of fun.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
I'm in I love working with wool. I'm currently marking a Partridge in a Pear Tree Wallhanging for next xmas.

Your blocks are beautiful, love the colors and details.
Wow gal288 - this is beautiful! And it looks really large! How long has it taken you?
I started it a week before xmas, like I thought I'd get it done! Idea came to me from an xmas card we received.

Anyway, it's 36" long, 18" wide, has not taken long, just simple buttonhole edging.
I used an old blazer I wasn't wearing, felted it and cut bias strips from the back for the stems.

Haven't figured out how I'm going to finish the edges, tongues will be too heavy to hang, it's on my design board and I will figure it out. After all it's only February and I have to November, right?

I'll be happy to participate, and help design our own quilt if everyone wants. All we need to do is select a theme everyone is interested in, and decide on a size.

I love designing and would rather spend my money on more fabric than purchasing a pattern!!

How does everyone feel about that?
:lol:
Gal288 - I like your idea of designing our own. But we do need to be realistic. Let's give it a few days to talk about it and see where everyone is at. We could also start out simple with everyone picking out their own small project - and posting and discussing. I would recommend to those who don't have it:
1. A good embroidery handbook - I can give recommendations.
2. Freezer paper for cutting out patterns
3. Embroidery floss as a basic thread and go from there. I use many different threads including Genziana Wool/poly thread.
4. Uhu glue, Roxanne's glue baste, applique pins or some sort of simple means of securing the wool applique pieces. Not necessary - but sometimes it is helpful especially on larger projects with small pieces.
5. No. 18 and 24 chenille needles.

This is just a beginning list I thought I would suggest to anyone beginning.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm doing the Piecmakers 2012 BOM calendar quilt in wool applique. The calendar BOM will be out in March and I'm collecting the wool. I found a batch of wool box pleated skirts at Goodwill, all solid colors, still with tags. They are decades old! I lived in box pleated skirts during Jr high school. And not the thick sweater wool. Perfect applique wool. The first and last wool I bought for applique at a quilt shop was $8 for about a 10" x 10" square.

I'm new at wool applique so any information will help me.