Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made Bonnie Hunter's Double Delight quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    For reasons too long to post, I have to have this quilt made by the end of Sept. I have been cutting and sewing for three days and still on step 2. Any quilt that has 480 hst in one step has no choice but be beautiful. Here a pic of the quilt: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...ht-part-7.html . I'm using the same color choices.
    Bella Boo:Could it be possible to send me the instructions for "Double Delight"? I think that Bonnie removes some patterns after awhile: due to the patterns being featured in her books. That is what happened to "Roll, Roll Cotton Boll".Thanks, Linda

'
    '/

I looked at it and it will be beautiful. Just keep going and you will get it done.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I JUST finished Roll, Roll Cotton Boll and it's beautiful!! Now you have me wanting to make this. I was going to make a single Irish chain and I see that the Irish Chain shows up here along with her star blocks...this is going to be great! One thing I did which was perfect in doing RRCB was to purchase the Triangulations software. Those hst flew!! I got the idea from this board and am still saying thank you!

I made the Double Delight and it was one of Bonnie's early Mystery Quilts. It was fun to make and turned out terrific like all her patterns do. Her patterns all have many, many small pieces which are doable by any level of quilter, you just need to make accurate 1/4" seams and I take this all as a refresher because I tend to get lazy on my techniques when doing scrap or modern quilts. The mystery quilts are exhausting and I have done every one and the finished tops seem to sit in the closet for a couple years before they get quilted, but I am addicted so what is a person to do.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Blog Entries
    Oh, that is a gorgeouos quilt. I know yours will be too. Hit it! ha.

Blog Entries
    The pattern is free on her blog. Her blog is different then her website: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/ It's under the Mystery Quilt tab.

The hsts are the triangle pieces sewn to the squares, not two sewn together to make a square.

I didn't wake up until after 10 am this morning! Sewing is work. LOL. I hop to make step 3 today but DD and one month old grandson are coming to spend the day here and I have a baby swing in my sewing room.

The trimming up stages and pressing stages take a lot of time with steps one and two. It's worth taking the time to do it step by step, all my blocks came out perfect to 3 1/2" square after trimming with generous 1/4" allowance at all points.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  94.4 KB Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 237
Size:  110.6 KB
    Got fabric?

Move into a hotel nearby and unplug the phone!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Wow! Can't wait to see it, know it's gonna be gorgeous!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Keep up the good work, it's going to be beautiful and worth the trouble. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    all those little nine patches can be strip pieced, then cut and sewn together. i didn't read how she does them, but it's probably this way since it's faster. i love strip piecing.

Looking at the photos of her piecing this quilt, I notice Bonnie Hunter has an attachment that is perpendicular to the presser foot. I don't know what it is. Maybe to stabilize the 1/4 presser foot so she gets an exact 1/4 inch every time? Does anyone know what this is?
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries
    this is a stunning quilt. added it to my to do list. It looks complicated but when you look at the step by step directions, it is pretty easy. Just a lot of work and patience but what a pay off when its done. Love love love it

Quiltville.com has many of her mysteries still available; only those that have been published in a book are no longer there (for example, Roll, Roll, Cottonboll, Orca Bay, and Carolina Christmas - which was my first "Bonnie" quilt). The mysteries that are available are on the lower left side of the home page, and can still be printed off in the original step-by-step format.

On the right side of the homepage are SCADS of free patterns, as well as tons of great information. If you ever have the chance to go to a workshop with Bonnie, jump at it! I traveled to Dover, DE last year to see her; I took three workshops and attended her trunk show. She is so genuine and down to earth, as well as generous (who else do you know who has designed and offers so many quilt patterns for free?), it is just amazing.

If you go to your favorite search engine and search for quiltville images, you should find many pictures of her quilts.

The piece that screws into the bed of the machine is a seam guide that Bernina sells as an accessory.

PS - If you go to the last page of each pattern, you can see a gallery of quilt pictures made follwers have sent in.

amazing that so many of us think alike -- when i looked at the picture i thought "beautiful !!"....then "END OF SEPTEMBER !!!????" then scrolled down and saw so many of the same reactions. i really really really wish you all the very best on that !!! it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it !!!

Blog Entries
    I bailed too when I saw that. I like things a bit less complicated at my advanced age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Her quilts are great because of the variety of the fabrics and scraps she puts in them. I guess I am too lazy to piece all those individual half square triangles. I was already to do the "Roll, roll cotton boll" until the instructions said something like...do 400 half share triangles and I bailed. Your quilt will look super when you get it done and I applaud your diligence!!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    HST??? All I see in that quilt are Square in a Square patches, 9 patches, some squares and some setting triangles. What am I missing???
    Cat,
    You're not missing a thing! You obviously "see" patterns in the easiest piecing ways; were you a Mary Ellen Hopkins student, by chance?

No way would I make this with lots of little triangles!! It IS a great quilt, though; love the colors!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Go Bella, Go Bella, Go Bella.........(with pom poms made of fabric strips waving over my head)
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

do you use thangles or triangles on a roll?makes everything easier and less stressful

It's a pretty quilt for sure. I have 3 of her books and honestly am not overly crazy about them because of all the small pieces. I think each of her quilts must have over 1000 pieces of 2 inch squares and that is not fun to cut. Her quilts are beautiful to look at and she recycles fabric which I do too, but I just don't have all that time to cut up my fabric into 2 inch squares or even smaller. And then to make all those HST, holy cow !! My quilts are just lovely and I rarely make 2 inch squares. To each their own. Good Luck with making this quit.

FLQ
    This Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt is wonderful. I'm working on two of her free patterns, Pineapple Blosom (fun and fast!) and a leaders and Enders with 300+ 4 patches that are done at the beginning and end of another in progress project. If you cut and organize scraps by Bonnie's method and follow the directions to lead and end with blocks you can make a number of quilts fairly quickly. Thank you BellaBoo for highlighting Double Delight by Bonnie Hunter! (ps- I've been hitting GW and thrift stores for cotton shirts and I'm beginning to think Bonnie's followers have snagged them all. I'm finding very few now to use in shirting patterns, lol.)

just finished her string star...have done her delectable mountains (luv her technique)..finished her midnite flight in may...my xmas star is currently at the laq...it too is HUGE.....brought my tops to her recent texas visits...i dont know how she gets them done so quickly with no sewing help..especially with her hectic schedule..her quilts are beautiful, but the #of pieces is craazy..my mantra for this year is no more bonnie...im now concentrating on eleanor burns...not so many pieces...good luck....sew crazy.....monica in texas

Very nice quilt with more piecing then i'd ever do. Good luck......
    dsews2

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. Love the colors!

I love her patterns. I've done several of them. My current favorite is "Crayon Box". This quilt is all flannels except for the binding and backing. I made it for my favorite quilt charity group; "The Linus Connection".
    Sharon W.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by purplefiend; 08-25-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast