Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone remember "quilt in  a pocket" >

Anyone remember "quilt in a pocket"

Anyone remember "quilt in a pocket"

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM

I just finished making two quillows for my granddaughter and her friend for graduation. I made a 20" square pillow and a 50x60 inch quilt. (width of quilt=2 1/2 x the pillow and length =3x the pillow). Make a complete pillow and complete quilt and then sew the pillow flush to one end and centered on the quilt with the flush end left open. I tied the quillow instead of quilting it. Fold both edges to the back of the quilt, turn it up by thirds and fold into the pillow opening (that's the hardest part). Using a square pillow you can make any size quilt by making the width 2 1/2 times the pillow and the length 3 times the pillow.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Does anyone remember how to make a "quilt in a pocket?" It is from the 80s. I think you made a lap quilt and sewed a block on the front in which you left one side of the block unsewn. Then you folded up the quilt and stuffed it inside of the block thereby creating a pillow. I need to make one for my granddaughter but can't recall how to do it exactly. Anyone remember these?
They are called Quillows and you can find patterns online by doing a search. Sorry I don't have the link right now.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM

I made several "quillows" years ago. If I remember correctly, it's like someone else mentioned. I made the patchwork top first.Then decided how big the finished quilt would be. I figured out measurements a bit larger than 1/3 of the width, & about 1/4 of the length to make an independent "pocket". I attached the pocket to the backing (centering it a few inches above the lower edge of the quilt). Put right sides together, stitch, leaving an opening just below the pocket. Stitch opening, tie or quilt body as you choose. Hope I've explained it well enough, as it has been many years. Have fun!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jean Judson
I just finished making two quillows for my granddaughter and her friend for graduation. I made a 20" square pillow and a 50x60 inch quilt. (width of quilt=2 1/2 x the pillow and length =3x the pillow). Make a complete pillow and complete quilt and then sew the pillow flush to one end and centered on the quilt with the flush end left open. I tied the quillow instead of quilting it. Fold both edges to the back of the quilt, turn it up by thirds and fold into the pillow opening (that's the hardest part). Using a square pillow you can make any size quilt by making the width 2 1/2 times the pillow and the length 3 times the pillow.
Thanks so much. I will remember this "formula."
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Try going on Goolgle and ask for qwillow
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM

go into goggle and type in Pattern for quillow I made one for my grandson. And that is what I remember them being called
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM

I made a quillow for my sister a few years ago. She told me it's the best gift she's ever had. She said she covers herself with the quillow pocket facing her feet and snuggles her feet into the pocket. I hope she never has to get up fast and forget her feet are in the pocket. :lol:
Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Just heard about this quilt and I looked it up on the internet. It is called a quillow. I found the directions but I haven't made one yet.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Granny59 that is adorable, I made one for my GD when she was 2 years old I'll have to post pictures, I still have it and she will be 18 next week.

Cookie
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM

You make the pocket one third of the width of you lap quilt. Sew it on the back of the quilt in the middle, with the pieced section of the pocket facing to the inside. When you fold up the lap quilt, you fold it in thirds, fold down towards the pocket. Then flip the pocket out over the quilt so that the quilt is in the pocket and the pieced side of the pocket is now facing out. I also put a sewn handle on so that it is easy to carry to the beach or wherever. When you unfold it all the pocket is large enough to snuggle your feet into. Hope this helps!