Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone remember "quilt in  a pocket" >

Anyone remember "quilt in a pocket"

Anyone remember "quilt in a pocket"

Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM

I think simplicity patterns has this pattern. you may look on the web to see if you can get it free.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM

I've replied to this thread before, but I've just remebered the quillow I made for a little cancer patient. When he was first diagnosed, I made a little quilt for him to travel back and forth to Memphis (St. Jude's). A couple of years later, I asked him if his quilt "still fits." He said that it was getting to be too small. I make him a quilllow and made a pillow to tuck in the pocket. This is what he still uses to travel to Memphis. Luke has leukemia and is a fighter. He goes to school now.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I began my quillow today. I never used the fusible batting before and am confused. I ironed it on the fabric according to the directions, but I got a sticky residue on my ironing board cover. Did I do it right? Is there a better way to do it? If I had ironed it with the batting side toward the iron, the iron would have been covered with the sticky residue instead of the ironing board. Did I do it wrong? TIA
Old 04-24-2010, 03:08 PM

When I used fusible batting I used it on both the front and the back so it was in the middle of the fabric, I had no problem. Is this what you did? I think it fuses from both sides. If you use it on half it would stick to the ironing board or iron.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Here is a link I found. Is this what you are wanting?
Hope this helps. :thumbup:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...lt.html?cat=24
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM

According to all the directions I found for making a qwillow, you layer the top and back right sides together and put the batting on the bottom layer so it is against the sewing machine throat plate. Then you just sew it all together like a pillow. I can see where using fusible batting for a quilt would be nice since it would be sandwiched between the front and back. Using it to make a qwillow though is just so darn messy to the ironing board. There must be a better way. I hope I didn't goof.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM

tinabodina
Thanx for posting the web site. I can DEFINATELY see a difference between the Qwillow and the Pocket Quilt now.
Thanx again.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Joeysnana
Yes I made five of these back then, increased two from just small quillows to a full size bed quillow and also a kingsize bed quillow. I don't know just where that pattern is, but you have the right idea. I made the two small quilts from just one large piece of fabric, and had to piece two widths of fabric together for the larger ones, both front and back, and quilted both sides. Then you do add a pocket to one side, at the very end of the quilt with three sides sewn, and the top of the pocket open. This pocket is sewn in the center of the quilt on the very end. leaving some of the quilt on each side. However the pocket is large enough that when the quilt is folded from the other side, and from the ends it will fold into the pocket, thus making a pillow, and where the name quillow comes from. I will not have time this week, because of testing at school, to look for the pattern but will try to do so next weekend, or as soon as possible. When do you need the pattern? I will hunt for the pattern and make a copy and mail to you when I find it. I will get back to you on this site so we can pm each other with address info. You may not need the pattern with this info, but just in case, I will look for it. Hope this helps. Gerbie
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Joeysnana
Yes I made five of these back then, increased two from just small quillows to a full size bed quillow and also a kingsize bed quillow. I don't know just where that pattern is, but you have the right idea. I made the two small quilts from just one large piece of fabric, and had to piece two widths of fabric together for the larger ones, both front and back, and quilted both sides. Then you do add a pocket to one side, at the very end of the quilt with three sides sewn, and the top of the pocket open. This pocket is sewn in the center of the quilt on the very end. leaving some of the quilt on each side. However the pocket is large enough that when the quilt is folded from the other side, and from the ends it will fold into the pocket, thus making a pillow, and where the name quillow comes from. I will not have time this week, because of testing at school, to look for the pattern but will try to do so next weekend, or as soon as possible. When do you need the pattern? I will hunt for the pattern and make a copy and mail to you when I find it. I will get back to you on this site so we can pm each other with address info. You may not need the pattern with this info, but just in case, I will look for it. Hope this helps. Gerbie
Thanks for the kind offer. I did find several websites with good instructions and am in the process of making my quillow this weekend. Other than the usual "disagreements"(we are not friends) with my sewing machine it is going pretty well.