Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thread crochet?

My mom always crocheted using thread. She passed away in April and I took up where she left off. I worked on several things for Christmas gifts. I don't know that I would enter a fair with mine, but I know several who do. It is fun, but I am really enjoying quilting. I just pick up my hooks when I am missing Mom so much I can't stand it.

Marilyn
    Paintbrushbrown

I do thread crochet occasionally (and I need to replace some of my tattered doilies soon); but I must say quilting is my favorite craft of late.

So glad to see we have so many who crochet or have crocheted..... I just love to crochet and have post pictures of some doilies.... Love the pattern you have picked to do... Just finished doing two bolero's for my granddaughter. Will post pictures when I get a chance.

Here are the pictures of the shrugs/bolero

bolero/shrug
    Name:  Attachment-135.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  43.7 KB

bolero/shrug
    Name:  Attachment-136.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  32.4 KB

can you tell me where to get a pattern for the shrug? :lol:

THanks, BellaBoo. I have been looking for a hand project while visiting my DS & DIL. Bingo!!

Love all kinds of crochet. I have done many afgans and doilies. My sister asked me to stop, she said she has 120 doilies in her cupboard. Guess I went overboard. Love that pattern, will have to try it. Thanks.

BellaBoo, I got off on my story about my grandmother and forgot to thank you for posting the pattern! I also wanted to ask do any of you followed a "shorthand" patten (such as those you would find in the Japanese books)? What do you think of them?
    Heidi

Looks like a pretty pattern. I went thru a phase of crocheting doilys in the '90s. I made a pretty large round tablecloth in ecru, but when I got to the last few rounds, it wouldn't lie flat, kind of pooched up in the middle. I tried to find a mistake that was causing that, but never found it, and never finished it. It's in a bag in a closet somewhere.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by suesews
    Looks like a pretty pattern. I went thru a phase of crocheting doilys in the '90s. I made a pretty large round tablecloth in ecru, but when I got to the last few rounds, it wouldn't lie flat, kind of pooched up in the middle. I tried to find a mistake that was causing that, but never found it, and never finished it. It's in a bag in a closet somewhere.

Sue
    OK, on that pooched up center, could you expound on it, make a little pillow that will fit under it and sew it in and make it into a pin cushion, if it isn't a big doily. If it is big, you, you might be able to put a large bowl or vace on the center and it will hide the fact that it doesn't lay flat. You could try getting it wet and see if you can stretch it out to lay flat or flatten it down in the center while wet. If it is big, would it make a good decoration on a pillow that has a pouchy surface anyway? If it pouches a lot, shape it so the pooch looks like a hat center? Have you tried any of these things? I hate to see a lot of work gone to waste, and end up in a bag in a closet. Could it be appliqued to something and quilted on in the center to make it flatten out? OK, well, that's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
    Janis
    OK< I just re-read your message... TABLECLOTH !!! That would make a HUGE pin cushion!!! but I'm leaving in the stuff I wrote in case it will help anyone else. But you might try wetting and blocking it in the center to see if that would help. I still hate ti see it wind up in a closet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ive crocheted dollies for my mother, and friends and family havent crechted any thing for me our my hubby.

Does anyone want OLD, and I mean OLD crochet, etc. patterns? Here's a web site where you can copy them for your own use, but not to sell. The fact that I can print off old patterns for free is good enough for me. If you make English patterns, be sure to note that the English 'double crochet' is the American 'single crochet'.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

http://crochet.about.com/od/conversi...mtranslate.htm

Enjoy!!!! Janis

thanks for sharing these, I will definitely check them out-love to do thread crochet-I have a bedspread that a family member's mother in law started probably thirty yr ago and it stayed in her closet forever-she sent it to me and I had to figure the pattern but finally finished it about 8 yr ago and have in on the bed in an extra bedroom :P

Carol, I PM'd you :) Have a great day!!

Blog Entries
    Yes I crochet with thread as well as with yarn.

When I travel, etc. I always take a crochet product along. My favorite is making dish clothes. They are normally about 8 inches square, of many designs that I make as I go along and never wear out.

I sell them for $1.00 each. Anyone interested? Please reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used to thread crochet until I got tendonitis in my right shoulder after making a very large doily with sewing thread. Since then every time I do much crocheting at all that tendonitis comes back.

Know how it feels when you can't find your favorite - did find some links for Knit Cro Sheen - here's one:

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/...et-cotton.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks Flybriet but I was mistaken about the name. That's not the thread I was thinking of. It came in a skein and was loftier then regular cotton thread but not as thick as the Sugar N Spice cotton. It had a silky feel. I'll think of the name of it

Is it Grace or MicroSpun?

Kathi in PA

I crochet better than I quilt. I give my doilies as gifts. I can't seem to find #30 size cotton thread anywhere tho. Can anyone help me find some?

Blog Entries
    Hobby Lobby sells Aunt Lydia's size 30 cotton thread.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/ite...cat=3&Search=Y

I've seen it at some WalMarts too.

TY Miss Bellaboo,,I appreciate your response,,,and I was just told we have a Hobby Lobby in Hot Springs,,ty again. And BTW, that is a beautiful doily which I of course have to try making,,lol

I think Annie's Attic carries it. The website is www.anniesattic.com Hope this helps!!

Kathi in PA

No Miss Kathi, I've checked Annie's Attic, Herrschernerrs, Clothilde and a few others that USED to carry #30, I can find #10, but can no longer find #20 or #30,,I love crocheting doilies and chair doilies, and most of my patterns call for size #10 thank goodness,,,but I love doing filet crochet and the one I'm actually doing in size #10 calls for #30!,,lol but my Christian sisters at church like it just the way it is,,once I get a scanner/printer I'll put some pics of projects on here,,,ty again

Blog Entries
    There are many different places on the web that you can look for threads and yarn. My favorite is herschneers.com.

Good luck in finding your thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast