Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Apliquick tools- Do I need them all and where to buy? >

Apliquick tools- Do I need them all and where to buy?

Apliquick tools- Do I need them all and where to buy?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Question Apliquick tools- Do I need them all and where to buy?

I would like to buy the Apliquick tools but am not sure if I want or need all.
I plan to purchase the rods but do I want the tweezers and scissors? How about the glue?
Should I buy a kit that has multiple items?
What is the best place $wise to purchase these tools?
It is kind of pricey so I want to shop wisely.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to learn something new b/c I have no idea what they are

(I'm assuming applique?)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I bought mine at a quilt show a couple years ago and still haven't started playing. I sprung for just about everything. I got the rods, the foundation, 2 different scissors, glue sticks and refills and I believe the tweezers. Yeah I got caught up in the moment.

My friend who does this method of applique a lot says she never uses the tweezers. The rods for turning and smoothing are the guts of the system. Her glue is supposed to be nicer to work with than elmers school glue. I do know the stick is much smaller so easy to apply to tiny pieces. Her scissors are wonderful! They are micro serrated and I really could feel the difference in control with them. I liked them better than the Karen Kay Buckley scissors and KKB are really nice but the Appliquick ones are all metal. I got both the tiny ones and the 3 hole ones that look like hair stylist scissors with the special loops for your middle and ring fingers.

I believe the only place you can get these tools without going to a show she is attending is through Jinny Beyer. At least in the states. I think she chooses one distributor and just sticks with them but that may have changed.

https://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commer...096227289663C1

I know one of our members, Tartan maybe?? has done this method of prepared applique with tiny seafood forks and elmers washable glue sticks. Not sure what she uses for the foundation. There was a topic a while back where they went into detail.

Apliquilt tools alternative

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-08-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for your response feline fanatic. It was very helpful. I do have a pair of Kay scissors, the small ones, and was wondering if it is worth getting the appliquick ones. It sounds like it is and possibly the larger scissors too. I think I heard the same before about the tweezers from some one else. Thank you for the links.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 AM

I've seen the demo on the tools and they look great. I haven't done a ton of applique, but I took Beth Ferrier's Craftsy Class and I've used her wash away foundation paper and like it. For turning the edges I use a wooden cuticle stick that has a flat angled end. I just restocked myself with these from Sally's beauty supply. I use the Elmer's glue sticks. Have purchased the narrow Fons and Porter ones with the blue glue, but they dried out too fast for me. The applique leader glue looks like it would be better, but haven't tried it.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 AM

The Quilted Bear, in Ladner, BC has had demos on this, and they were selling them. They are very pricey but the people who bought them, loved them. Not sure if they bought the whole system or just pieces though.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the link FF
Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

OK I just placed an order for my friend and I. We opted for the packet with the sticks, paper and glue. It comes with a small zippered pouch. Always good to keep track of those little sticks. I already have a pair of Kay scissors. From reading online it seems the apliquick scissor might not stay sharp for very long. I think we are off to a good start and can always add later. I have some decent tweezers for longarm quilting so I will use those.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 AM

I have everything mentioned, including the tweezers, which I use all the time to grab little bits of paper when PP and stabilizer when appliqueing. Couldn't get along without them.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I saw the lady demo this in Paducah, I think she is from Spain. She had the specialty scissors along with all the other tools for Appliquick. She showed everything she could do with the tools. I was amazed at the tiny applique circles made in a minute and the detailed applique shapes with all turned seams perfectly. I never cared for hand applique but this made it very easy I bought the complete set. I must say the fusible she uses is the best. Very soft and thin. The glue is excellent too. My guild is having a program featuring Appliquick in Oct. I hope to buy more of the glue and fusible supplies there. I tried the seafood fork and picker some say work the same. Not for me after using the tools designed for Appliquick but have seen others get good results.