Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue for Apliquick? >

Glue for Apliquick?

Glue for Apliquick?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 AM

Default Glue for Apliquick?

I purchased a new to me product a few days ago at a LQS called Apliquick. It is a fusible for preparing needle turn applique pieces. It only has one fusible side-you can trace or print your shapes on it without having to reverse them, fuse it onto the wrong side of your fabric, then cut, adding a turning seam allowance. ( I am doing some intricate pieces, and freezer paper just wasn't working well-the Apliquick is a bit stiffer and I am having better luck with it) I am trying to use elmers washable school glue ( currently out of town and that's all I have) but it isn't working very well....I hope to venture out tomorrow to look for a different type of glue. If I can't locate Roxannes, can you recommend something that may be more readily available that works well? Thanks so much!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I always use a washable glue stick. Have you tried that??
Old 02-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

For this type of thing, I prefer using paste rather than glue. Elmer's no longer makes their school paste (the white stuff in a jar that smelled like peppermint!), but there are substitutes on Amazon that look pretty good. What I like about paste is that it is easy to control the amount as I apply it. I use a fingertip and keep a damp washcloth nearby to wipe off occasionally. If I ever run out of my supply of Elmer's, I will probably try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Yasutomo-NP56J...dp/B0027ACSF6/

This would be another one that would probably work:
http://www.amazon.com/Gane-All-Purpo...dp/B000S10SNU/

Last edited by Prism99; 02-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Ahhhh....I have Yes paste at home! Stopped at CVS this evening and purchased Elmers washable glue stick-goes on purple, dries clear.....so far, so good! Much better than the liquid glue! Thanks ladies!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 AM

The glue stick works very well. I also tried the regular glue with no luck. Did you get the Apliquick tools? I got them a couple of weeks ago and just love them. So much easier to turn the fabric.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 AM

I did not purchase the tools...i am using wooden skewers!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:05 AM

What is the difference between this appliquick fusible and other that is fusible on one side only...don't get the difference?......and tools?....and glue for edges....I just turn as I go.....
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Geri, I am just getting started with the Apliquick, so hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in.....I have a hard time needle turning small and intricate pieces. Apliquick is a fusible stabilizer that disintegrates so the fabric remains soft. No need to remove it after stitching. Eventually, I hope to not need it, but for now, it is greatly improving the appearance of my applique! . The turning tools are a bit pricey for me, so I am just using wooden skewers. One of the tools has a beveled edge-i have an orange stick for manicures at home that I think will do just as well!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
What is the difference between this appliquick fusible and other that is fusible on one side only...don't get the difference?......and tools?....and glue for edges....I just turn as I go.....

I tried to edit my original but it said I went over time allotted ..not....anyway. I went to a site demoing and selling....a bit pricey (for me), but if one is a devoted hand appliquér these might be worth it...I can live without these " toys", but I do love " toys".....

Oh, the fusible is washable...okay, that's a plus.....it does not stiffen the finished piece....that is a good point....are there any others that wash away?

Last edited by Geri B; 02-22-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Appliquick Tools

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I did not purchase the tools...i am using wooden skewers!
Thank you for the suggestion about the wooden skewers! I was looking for a substitute because the original tools are too expensive for me 😢