Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique circles >

applique circles

applique circles

Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM

I would just make and use Yo Yos. You could extend the lines from natural creases in them.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 AM

Great suggestions all the way around...I just want to add that we'd love to see your Daydreams quilt when you've finished it.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 AM

I have always liked Eleanor method of using light weight interfacing trace your circles on that and you could use 1/4 yard at a time or what or what you would be comfortable working with trace on the smooth side lay and pin bumpy side down on right side of fabric sew on line cut out 1/4 inch away from stitching slit interfacing and turn then press down and either machine stitch with invisible thread using bobbin thread color of snowflake or hand stitch using same color as snow flake
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 AM

There are a lot of tutorials on you tube. I use Karen Kay Buckley perfect circles. She has a you tube video on making circles.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
There are lots of ways to make circles, I recommend using a die cutting method for that many, such as an Accuquilt Go.
The real problem comes in stitching them down. Doing that many small circles by machine is going to take some time as you will have to go around each circle. Keep the background small if possible and the moving around of the fabric in the machine will be easier. Stitching them down by hand will also take some time. But in my opinion, easier than machine stitching. Only you can decide which method works for you. I once appliqued over 600 yo yos to background for a quilt. I did by hand, while watching TV. Makes for great handwork.
Love the quilt by the way,
I agree with you. I also made 2 yo yo quilts with 600 flowers. Never doing that again. I tried everywhich way to machine stitch. Ended up hand stitching with buttonhole twist. As far as I know only a few have come off.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 AM
pal

Please don't be offended by my suggestions - but the thought of appliquéing 150 small circles is mind boggling -
You could embroider them on using either embroidery thread or crewel thread.
You could buy miniature pom poms in pkgs at a craft store or real pom pom trim by the yard and cut them off.
You could paint them on with the end of a dowel dipped in the cap of acrylic paint.
You could paint them on using "puff paint".
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I also use the Karen Buckley Perfect Circles and am happy with them.