Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by coralee
you cut the freezer paper out exactly the size you want, the material is about1/4 size bigger I snit around the curves use a glue stick and iron the pieces around the back then do a hidden stitch after pinning it to the block
Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
I am working on this right now, I love the freezer paper method.
I love that quilt! On the freezer paper method do you cut out the seam allowance or it is cut out exactly to the size of the pattern and then you stitch (vs. needle turn under, etc.)
How do you get the freezer paper out then? Do you take it out before ironing? Do you just iron the 1/4 inch and then take out the paper before putting it on the background fabric? Or do you iron it onto the background fabric, turn the fabric over and make a slit in the back to remove the freezer paper and then sew up slit in back.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM

I cut a small slit in the back of the quilt and pull the pieces out, and hand sew the slit, I thought about using a small strip of stitch witch, but if I quilt over the entire design, its not recomended.
you cut the freezer paper out exactly the size you want, the material is about1/4 size bigger I snit around the curves use a glue stick and iron the pieces around the back then do a hidden stitch after pinning it to the block
I am working on this right now, I love the freezer paper method.
I love that quilt! On the freezer paper method do you cut out the seam allowance or it is cut out exactly to the size of the pattern and then you stitch (vs. needle turn under, etc.)
How do you get the freezer paper out then? Do you take it out before ironing? Do you just iron the 1/4 inch and then take out the paper before putting it on the background fabric? Or do you iron it onto the background fabric, turn the fabric over and make a slit in the back to remove the freezer paper and then sew up slit in back.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! :lol: :lol: As a matter of fact, I just finished a wedding quilt top that has sunflowers, hearts, and guitars for a dear friend's son. My only problem with it is that I'm not sure it will be completely finished (ie. quilted) in time for his wedding. :oops: :roll: I do enjoy doing hand applique because I find it so relaxing, and I can take it anywhere with me. I can hardly wait to get started on another hand-appliqued quilt. I have done machine applique, but I really prefer doing it by hand. :wink:
I did try hand applique this summer and switched back to raw edge. I guess I am not an appliquer, but I am happy there are quilters who enjoy it. I say if you like doing it, go for it.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by craftybear

Love to see some of your projects with your raw edge machine applique
Most of my applique is dogs. I have done some flowers, as in 'Happy Daisies'. I will have to look and see what I might have left. I give most of my stuff away.

Here are the dogs.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50844-1.htm
Your puppies are so cute, love them.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
I will be watching this topic...I have never appliqued before but I soon will be starting a project that the center is applique and I will be doing the old timeeeee way of needle turn...I feel it is important to start at the beginning of applique and adapt to the technique I like best.
It took me all of ten minutes to needle turn and it took a minute for me to switch back to raw edge, think I am lazy, the one thing about doing by hand is you can take it with you and do not have to sit in front of the machine.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Suz

Don't give up too quickly. Try one of the other preparations for getting your pieces ready. I wrote about using templar/ spray starch/ and a paint brush. I find it the easiest so that when you sit down to stitch, the edges are already turned. Please give it a try. Suzanne
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Don't give up too quickly. Try one of the other preparations for getting your pieces ready. I wrote about using templar/ spray starch/ and a paint brush. I find it the easiest so that when you sit down to stitch, the edges are already turned. Please give it a try. Suzanne
I took a class this summer and just finishing it up as we speak, anyways, it was a ton of work, the woman teaching had made the pattern up and the centre was appliqued. She had hand appliqued it, her thoughts were, everone should try it once. Well...they say you should bungee jump once...don`t think so! Some day maybe, my machine applique is better then my hand work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM

When I just did my airplane applique I used the freezer paper method and painted starch around my turned edges. Its a liquid called " Stiffy", no really !. Great stuff. After pressing over the edges w/my mini iron I was able to peel off the freezer paper and the applique piece stayed perfectly in place. I am also able to save the cut out freezer paper design to use again, which was a plus since I hand drew everything. :wink:
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/...8cb0dc8e_b.jpg

Hope this posts the pic I just uploaded to add to my post on airplane applique :)
Old 09-27-2010, 05:54 PM

I love, love, love to applique. I like it more than piecing.
I had never done it before but decided with my first quilt I would jump right in head first. I did not think it was hard at all. I have learned a few things along the way that I would love to share. The sad part is after all that now i am scared to quilt it !!!! By the way it is a monkey quilt that was suppost to be a gift but my husband convinced me that it would not be cared for nor appreciated the way it should. I put alot of work into it!!!I will try to post pics.