Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Help needed >

Applique Help needed

Applique Help needed

Old 07-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Question Applique Help needed

I am doing a table runner that has a pumpkin on it. The stem and tendrils are appliqued to the base. One end of the tendrils is tucked under the pumpkin stem so the raw edge is not seen, but the other end is visible after it swirls around. For the tendrils I made made a bias strip ,folded it in half, sewed a 1/4 inch seam from the edge, trimmed it and pressed the seam to the middle of the back of the strip. How do I end this strip of fabric? Folding it under seems to be bulky, but has been my only option so far.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
dd

If it's biased it will stretch open. Can you tuck the end inside then kinda stretch it back long ways again so it kind of closes that end? With the seam being on the outside, you can stretch that top edge over the back so you won't see the seam. I think the end should be kind of pointed anyway.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Is it possible for you to slip a small piece of double fusible into the bias strip? This would give the end a non fraying edge. If you are able to iron on the fusible and then trim the strip, you will have a clean edge. Then just stitch the end down as close to the edge as possible.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
If it's biased it will stretch open. Can you tuck the end inside then kinda stretch it back long ways again so it kind of closes that end? With the seam being on the outside, you can stretch that top edge over the back so you won't see the seam. I think the end should be kind of pointed anyway.
This is how I would do it too. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM

I would sew the one end closed before turning it, then trim down that end seam to 1/8" before turning. I agree with the others that making it into a point might look nice.

I've done that & it seemed to hold up. I've also just doubled the end over, flat & sewn all the layers to the background fabric. I was using a batik, so that helped keep it from getting too bulky. It really didn't look bad.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
This is how I would do it too. Good Luck!
Me too! Good luck with it!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM

Thanks for your help. I will make some samples and give these ideas a try.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

When I do a narrow appliqué stem, I leave it with a good 1/4 inch seam allowance past the amount I want when doubled. If the stem is gently curved I pin the folded bias fabric on my background square and machine stitch the bias fabric down to the background fabric. I then trim off almost all the seam allowance and then fold the bias fabric back over the trimmed edge and hand stitch the folded edge down to the background.
Since this is a curly stem, I would pin the stem in place and hand stitch it in a line, getting closer to the folded edge as I come to the point. Once it looks good, I would trim the raw edges close to the stitching line. I would then fold the folded edge over the stitching line and hand stitch down the fold. You should be able to get a fairly pointed end to your stem this way.

Last edited by Tartan; 07-20-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

Picture of what I was trying to say....[ATTACH=CONFIG]525766[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg