Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique  help >

Applique help

Applique help

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Very nice !!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Do you want to do hand applique or machine?

I'm just learning the starch method of preparing pieces for applique and I'm sewing them by hand - I'm also getting the hang of needle-turn applique - but I'm using very simple patterns for that, so far.

The starch method is amazing because you get such precise and consistent shapes. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm happy with my progress so far. :)
Could you explain or give a link to, the starch method? I'm trying to learn all I can about hand appliqué techniques and have not heard of this one
Thanks in advance,
Sorcha
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
Could you explain or give a link to, the starch method?
Hello Sorcha,

The starch method is just a way of preparing the applique pieces so that they are easy to handle, easy to arrange on the background and easy to sew. The pieces are like potato chips when you're done with them, but the edge is already turned under and it's easier to pick up only the outside couple of threads.

There's a series of starch method lessons on this blog:
http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...essons/page/2/ but I haven't found the way to navigate to the lessons that follow. If you click on "Applique Lessons" at the bottom of this page, you can scroll to the bottom of the next page and see some of the subsequent ones.

Basically, you're taking liquid starch (I made mine from boiled cornstarch and water and added a little antimicrobial Febreeze to keep it from molding) and brushing it around the seam allowance on the wrong side of the piece. Then you place a full-size template on the wrong side and iron the seam allowance up over the edge of the template.

It's fussy work, but I love the look. If you like having some hand work to do while you're watching tv or riding in the car, this is just about ideal. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you so much for the explanation and link! This sounds like a method I would really enjoy
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 AM

I really never thought that I would like this type of work, but I saw a BOM sample at my LQS and thought, "I want a quilt that looks like that!"

It was soooooo pristine and perfect! One of the ladies explained a little bit about what it was and I came home and started searching for info on how it was done.

I'd bought a pattern just to see if I could do it, and after I tried one block with my own fabrics, I called the store and had them sign me up for the BOM.

It's quite fussy, but I'm kind of tired of racing through everything at breakneck speed. It's nice to take my time and enjoy the process. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
It's quite fussy, but I'm kind of tired of racing through everything at breakneck speed. It's nice to take my time and enjoy the process. :)
You have just described what, for me, is the best part of learning/doing hand applique.
I started quilting last may, and made 11 quilt tops (all of which had to visit the LAQ) by october. Gotta love big families when it's gift giving time.
Now I want to slow down, be meticulous, and enjoy the process
Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Me, too.

How prolific you were to get 11 quilts made in less than a year - no wonder you want to slow down. ;)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks for sharing this applique technique tutorial! Will definitely give this one a try.