Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique help

I'd like to try an applique pattern for my next sewing project.

I'd appreciate helpful hints,information & suggestions from your hands on projects.

Thanks in advance to all

Are you planning to do hand appliqué? Do you have any theme in mind, like flowers or a holiday? Did you want wall hanging or placemat size? Just thought with more info we could better assist you.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Sunbonnet Sue...Yep love to hand applique those...
    if you are just learning look on quilterscache.com lots of free blocks on there. I do the sew and flip method. I buy the light weight fusible pellon. Make sure the glue side is toward the right side of your fabric, then trace your shape onto the wrong side of your fabric, sew around it, trim it with pinking shears, then slit the pellon and flip it so the glue ends up on the outside. Then iron it onto your backing block and blind stitch it down. NO pins to stick you while you are hand sewing. Good luck
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Blog Entries
    I am just beginning to learn applique myself. I did a practice block of sunbonnet Sue and another of a heart. They both turned out pretty good for my first try. I'm planning a quilt in the future with applique. I used Wonder Under fusible web.

Wonder Under is great for appliques.Because you get instant blocks.I did a traditional 1800's in a eagle and swags with tassls.It was pretty.I then went around every block with a straight stitch.I loved it.Since then tho,I have learned to do the blocks quilt as you go with 1 block at a time,then do the borders separate.It was a lot less bulky and a lot easier to manage.Then sew the front together,and use steam a seam for the back and whip stitch or sew in the ditch.A gal on utube has a video of how to do it.Love wonder under.

Blog Entries
    There are many tutes available in the appliques section.

Blog Entries
    there are dozens of different (types) of applique...what kind are you wanting to try next? hand applique? machine applique? stained glass applique? raw edge applique? needle turn? fusable? reverse?
    there are lots of tutorials on all of them...we can help further once we know what you are doing :)

Blog Entries

How neat,do you have a picture you could share w/me ?
    Thank you for replying & your helpful information.
    Happy Sewing
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    I am just beginning to learn applique myself. I did a practice block of sunbonnet Sue and another of a heart. They both turned out pretty good for my first try. I'm planning a quilt in the future with applique. I used Wonder Under fusible web.

Do you want to do hand applique or machine?

I'm just learning the starch method of preparing pieces for applique and I'm sewing them by hand - I'm also getting the hang of needle-turn applique - but I'm using very simple patterns for that, so far.

The starch method is amazing because you get such precise and consistent shapes. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm happy with my progress so far. :)

This was my first attempt at the starch method - Christmas Wreaths BOM at Lone Star House of Quilts
    Name:  Attachment-170373.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  80.6 KB

Very nice !!

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Do you want to do hand applique or machine?

I'm just learning the starch method of preparing pieces for applique and I'm sewing them by hand - I'm also getting the hang of needle-turn applique - but I'm using very simple patterns for that, so far.

The starch method is amazing because you get such precise and consistent shapes. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm happy with my progress so far. :)
    Could you explain or give a link to, the starch method? I'm trying to learn all I can about hand appliqué techniques and have not heard of this one
    Thanks in advance,
    Sorcha

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Could you explain or give a link to, the starch method?
    Hello Sorcha,

The starch method is just a way of preparing the applique pieces so that they are easy to handle, easy to arrange on the background and easy to sew. The pieces are like potato chips when you're done with them, but the edge is already turned under and it's easier to pick up only the outside couple of threads.

There's a series of starch method lessons on this blog:
    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...essons/page/2/ but I haven't found the way to navigate to the lessons that follow. If you click on "Applique Lessons" at the bottom of this page, you can scroll to the bottom of the next page and see some of the subsequent ones.

Basically, you're taking liquid starch (I made mine from boiled cornstarch and water and added a little antimicrobial Febreeze to keep it from molding) and brushing it around the seam allowance on the wrong side of the piece. Then you place a full-size template on the wrong side and iron the seam allowance up over the edge of the template.

It's fussy work, but I love the look. If you like having some hand work to do while you're watching tv or riding in the car, this is just about ideal. :)

Thank you so much for the explanation and link! This sounds like a method I would really enjoy

I really never thought that I would like this type of work, but I saw a BOM sample at my LQS and thought, "I want a quilt that looks like that!"

It was soooooo pristine and perfect! One of the ladies explained a little bit about what it was and I came home and started searching for info on how it was done.

I'd bought a pattern just to see if I could do it, and after I tried one block with my own fabrics, I called the store and had them sign me up for the BOM.

It's quite fussy, but I'm kind of tired of racing through everything at breakneck speed. It's nice to take my time and enjoy the process. :)

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    It's quite fussy, but I'm kind of tired of racing through everything at breakneck speed. It's nice to take my time and enjoy the process. :)
    You have just described what, for me, is the best part of learning/doing hand applique.
    I started quilting last may, and made 11 quilt tops (all of which had to visit the LAQ) by october. Gotta love big families when it's gift giving time.
    Now I want to slow down, be meticulous, and enjoy the process

Me, too.

How prolific you were to get 11 quilts made in less than a year - no wonder you want to slow down. ;)

Thanks for sharing this applique technique tutorial! Will definitely give this one a try.