Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique question >

applique question

applique question

Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Default applique question

I have only done applique one time to patch a hole in a quilt. I am now thinking of trying it again for the back of a quilt. I am going to find videos, but I like asking questions on this board because you guys are soooo helpful. What I am thinking of doing is finding a picture of a fireman or firetruck.. cartoon like from a coloring book. Then I will cut that out and cut the fusing to match the silhouette of the figure. Then I will press to the fabric and then to the backing of the quilt. Then I am thinking I can just FMQ the interior lines. I don't have an embroidery machine, but my Janome does pretty good FMQing. The fabric has a print of fire trucks tossed all over. I am thinking I can use a black or contrasting thread to sew in the details. What do you guys think? Is that possible? Or would it look pretty bad? I am trying to attach a picture of what I am thinking of. Coloring book pictures are pretty basic and I think I can FMQ those lines
Attached Files
File Type: doc
firetruck.doc (147.0 KB, 491 views)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-15-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I do alot of app. use the heat-n-bond lite. you draw on the paper side. iron it onto the fabric and cut BOTH out as one, since it's ironed on the back, then you just heat set the applique onto the fabric and stitch around the app. This is raw edge applique. the directions for the heat-n-bond are easy and come on the film that comes with it. good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 AM

I'm thinking you might want to do some kind of stitch around the edge of the applique. If the quilt is washed often, the outer edges will tend to fray, even with a fusible on the back. Zigzag and buttonhole stitches are popular with machine appliquers.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Are you going to do the windows, tires, equipment, etc., in different fabrics than the body of the truck? If so, you will need to trace each of those elements onto the fusible and fuse to those fabrics separately.

There are some good YouTube tutes about working with multiple layers of fusibles and machine applique. There's also a Craftsy class which looks pretty good. http://www.stitchinheaven.com/craftsy.asp And here's a link that might help some. It is talking about pre-fused kits, but is good for do-it-yourself fusible applique. http://www.howtodoprefuse.com/
Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have only done applique one time to patch a hole in a quilt. I am now thinking of trying it again for the back of a quilt. I am going to find videos, but I like asking questions on this board because you guys are soooo helpful. What I am thinking of doing is finding a picture of a fireman or firetruck.. cartoon like from a coloring book. Then I will cut that out and cut the fusing to match the silhouette of the figure. Then I will press to the fabric and then to the backing of the quilt. Then I am thinking I can just FMQ the interior lines. I don't have an embroidery machine, but my Janome does pretty good FMQing. The fabric has a print of fire trucks tossed all over. I am thinking I can use a black or contrasting thread to sew in the details. What do you guys think? Is that possible? Or would it look pretty crappy? I am trying to attach a picture of what I am thinking of. Coloring book pictures are pretty basic and I think I can FMQ those lines
Save yourself some time and misery. Bond the fusible to your fabric before cutting your shapes. You'll go insane if you try to cut out a fabric shape and then a fusible shape adn expect them to line up when you bond them.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks for all of your input. I agree I will need to stitch around the edge of the edge of the applique. As far as the inside, no I was not going to cut any other fabric. I was just thinking I would draw the inside design on with pencil or washable marker and then sew using a heavy stitch (my machine has a few that I think may work) and just do lines. But I have never seen anyone do that... so I am concerned that it may not look so good
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

1. Trace the reversed image of your truck onto the paper side of the fusible.
2. Iron the fusible to your fabric, let cool and cut out on the lines.
3. Score the paper back of the fusible with a pin in the center to start to peel off the paper(if you peel the paper at the appliqué edge you can get some fraying)
4. Follow the fusibles directions to fuse to the backing.
5. Do any outline stitching or drawing of the features and finish the appliqué edges with a satin stitch or blanket stitch.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
1. Trace the reversed image of your truck onto the paper side of the fusible.
2. Iron the fusible to your fabric, let cool and cut out on the lines.
3. Score the paper back of the fusible with a pin in the center to start to peel off the paper(if you peel the paper at the appliqué edge you can get some fraying)
4. Follow the fusibles directions to fuse to the backing.
5. Do any outline stitching or drawing of the features and finish the appliqué edges with a satin stitch or blanket stitch.
Tartan, I really like reading your posts. You have so much good advice to give us quilters. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 AM

You don't mention it, but you should do the appliqué before you place the backing on your quilt. Otherwise the stitching will show on the front. I think you have a good idea, and the firetruck will enhance the back of your quilt.
Sue
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure I would want to applique on the back of a quilt. Too much bulk and your DSM will start skipping stitches when FMQ.