Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Question >

Applique Question

Applique Question

Old 05-29-2018, 02:51 AM

I use stabilizer (tear away) with a blind hem stitch.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:52 AM

When I satin stitch I find it comes out nicer if I use stabilizer. That said , stabilizer can get quite expensive on a large project. I made a monster quilt all satin stitched and fused down with steam a seam. I used stabilizer on the first block and decided it cost too much to use on an entire quilt. I use good old loose leaf paper as my stabilizer. It pretty much falls off when finished. Tiny pieces left in the seams etc don't cause any issues. I do it all the time.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:53 PM

I use old phone book pages paper is thinner and stitching basically cuts it away. I have also used coffee filters.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM

I use a variety of stabilizers because i have a selection for embroidery. Coffee filters and used dryer sheets work and are inexpensive.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 PM

This may be a stupid question, but if you do fusible applique, how to you use a stabilizer in addition? I thought the fusible acts as the stabilizer. Am I missing something? I am going to be starting a fusible applique project and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. TIA
Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Most fusibles don't give you enough stiffness to prevent the background fabric from bunching up underneath, and those heavyweights that do are a royal pain to work with. You pin or otherwise secure the stabilizer to the wrong side of the background. Experiment with a few scraps, with and without stabilizers, to see what suits you best.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 AM

Thank you guys so much. I ended up doing a zig zag stitch instead of a satin, and I am not having any trouble, that I can tell, by not putting a stabilizer on the back. I have never used a zigzag stitch on appliqué, but I guess it will be just fine.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM
mac

Funny thing, in the 70's I did a lot of satin stitch on cotton making aprons for little girls. There was a pillow panel that was a little girl with her front and back. I stitched the front to the front of the apron and the back to the back of the apron and it was all cotton to cotton. I usually starched it quite heavily and pinned it casually. As I said, I did a lot of these aprons and sold them. I never had a problem with bunching or anything, they all came out nice and flat. However, if I was to do that same thing today, I would have to use some sort of stabilizer or paper to keep it flat. My questions is: "What has changed?" I tried doing something like this a few years ago and I had a heck of a time getting through the project. I finally resorted to using stabilizer and I am still scratching my head as to why the difference in the project.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:55 PM

I have done several applique baby quilts, using fusible to position the appliques and hold them in place long enough to get the stitching done around the outside of the applique pieces. I found that trying to stitch (satin stitch or otherwise) without fusible left a gigantic mess. I have a very good ripper, but I don't want to get too friendly with it!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Funny thing, in the 70's I did a lot of satin stitch on cotton making aprons for little girls. There was a pillow panel that was a little girl with her front and back. I stitched the front to the front of the apron and the back to the back of the apron and it was all cotton to cotton. I usually starched it quite heavily and pinned it casually. As I said, I did a lot of these aprons and sold them. I never had a problem with bunching or anything, they all came out nice and flat. However, if I was to do that same thing today, I would have to use some sort of stabilizer or paper to keep it flat. My questions is: "What has changed?" I tried doing something like this a few years ago and I had a heck of a time getting through the project. I finally resorted to using stabilizer and I am still scratching my head as to why the difference in the project.
Today's fabric is much thinner than it was in the 70's.