Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique using flannel - edges fray? >

applique using flannel - edges fray?

applique using flannel - edges fray?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
say

I have made one applique quilt using flannel fabric but had trouble with the material fraying at the edges when sewing it down. Is there any product out there to help with? I would like to do another, but hesitate to start with the flannel.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Flannel will fray no matter what you do to it. It's the nature of the beast.

Wash it twice in hot water to shrink it as much as possible.

There is a product called fray check, am not sure how it would feel on a whole quilt. I have used it in small spots when doing my hand applique and the motif was fraying, but that is just a dot here or there.

With flannel the fraying can happen anywhere, anytime.

You could do a double row of stitching, stitch on the edge and then come in 1/8" and do another row of very small zig-zag. I have repaired a flannel quilt doing that. It's alot of work to do a whole quilt though.

Good luck, there is no good answer.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 PM
say

Ugh, not what I was hoping to hear..... The quilt for my grandson my daughter in law put away for an heirloom, so it will never be washed, but a few people showed interest in me making one for them, and I would hate to sell something that would fall apart in the wash, if they wash it...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM

I was thinking making what you turn under a little wider than what you would with other fabric. And then, maybe straight stitch it on top, as well. I've never done, it. This is just what I would try. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by say
Ugh, not what I was hoping to hear..... The quilt for my grandson my daughter in law put away for an heirloom, so it will never be washed, but a few people showed interest in me making one for them, and I would hate to sell something that would fall apart in the wash, if they wash it...
About 10 years ago I made my daughter-in-law a teddy bear quilt in flannel. The blocks were pieced and then I machine appliqued the teddy bear on top.

She uses it all the time while watching tv. It is washed pretty regularly, as they have a dog that lays on her lap.

Now here is what has happened.

First, I washed the fabric in hot water to shrink, I used 1/2" seam allowance throughout. By the way, it was not cheaper flannel, from Moda at $10 a yd!

I have had to repair it at least 5 times. The seams have separated, the bear pulled away from the original stitching.

I had quilted it with stitch in the ditch, which has caused the fabric to pull, so now batting shows through where the seams have frayed.

I no longer use flannel when piecing, I will use it as a backing, again use a larger seam allowance. I also use flannel as batting, when I don't want a heavier quilt, say for a summer weight bed quilt.

Can you recreate the quilt with cotton for the front and use flannel to back it? I would hesitate to sell a flannel pieced quilt, if you want repeat business and no phone calls to repair!

Good luck
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
say

Yes, I can use cotton fabric, just had leftover flannel that I thought I could use and reproduce the quilt. I agree, not worth the risk. I really appreciate all your input, and personal experience. At least I know it was not just me who had the problems.....
Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Use wool:-)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 PM

I think the weave of flannel isn't as tight as regular cottons. Maybe washing it in hot water will cause it to shrink up so that it's a tighter weave?? :? I'm just think' out loud here. :roll:
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM
say

I have never worked with wool or owned anything wool. Is it washable? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM

if you tighten your zig zag stitch it will help a lot :thumbup: