Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Argh: This is why I don't piece >

Argh: This is why I don't piece

Argh: This is why I don't piece

Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM

You have the beginning of a beautiful quilt! I, too, have trouble cutting accurately. It takes me forever. I use nonslip on the back of the ruler, starch, and still don't get it right. May you progress better than I!!! :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Started cutting the second half of the fabric. This was much harder to align but I think I did it.

One tip I had read was not to use the truncated edge some 60 degree rulers have. This time I did and my accuracy is MUCH better.

I'm also impressed how fast this is going! I'm sure arranging will take forever though.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM

ght i was the only one with that problem Can't cut straight no matter what I do
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 AM

I have two words for you. Grip Strips. Go to www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html
Old 08-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

The hand is never as sure as the eye! Keep at it :they will work out.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 AM

I find they stitch together just fine... and you won't NOTICE it much at all in the finished bit. I KNOW, my hubby cut my hexies... and he SLID the ruler a little while cutting and thought it wouldn't make the diff so I just went.. " shrug" .. by the time I noticed.. it was too late and it was ALL GOOD.

BTW...it's the love you put into in the end that makes the diff and it's relaxing..by the time you iron and quilt them - the little and I mean little tiny imperfection won't even be noticed by anyone but you. And personally. I'm not that much of an imperfectionist to get upset over it. Seriously my quilt turned out more than ok... ... she is loverly thus far.. ( queen size and still piecing on her).. lol. You can notice things if YOU ARE LOOKING with a MAGNIFYING GLASS and are perhaps going to a quilt show.. which I'm not! . My advice is love the process and have fun. Breathe, relax and smile... cut the next ones and do the same. Keep going and love your quilt.

Much care, moi... ( Your quilt looks like it's gonna be one happy... guilt!).

Last edited by SumikoKeel; 08-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I'm also impressed how fast this is going! I'm sure arranging will take forever though.
It always takes me much more time re-arranging the hexies on the design wall than the time to sew them together. You will find that your perceived inaccuracies will disappear when it is all put together. Also, double checking the pinning of the six layers of fabric to match design points before final cutting may help in the future. Those pins need to stand up straight and tall, no wonkies!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Really pretty!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 AM

Do you have some sort of "stopper" on backside of ruler/template to help stop the slipping-if that is your problem. Maybe you are not holding the rotary cutter correctly...should be straight down on that fabric and if your blade is sharp you should be able to zip right thru...moving your whole arm as you cut....I just cannot imagine not cutting straight....
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
So in the quilting world, I'm a quilter. That's what I like to do.
I've recently run out of projects to quilt, so I'm doing some piecing. I decided I really wanted to make a one block wonder. The fabric I picked doesn't seem ideal, but it is looking okay. I did a one strip trial run last night (pictured) and decided to go ahead and do the rest.

This morning I cut the rest of half the fabric (I split it width wise). Piecing them together I find my quarter inch seam is more accurate than I used to be. BUT OMG! I cannot cut. Take the rotary cutter away. Probably a good 20% of my stacks are NOT even close to being equilateral (though I did align them correctly for the OBW, so that's something done right...doesn't matter though). Another 30% are close enough I think I can work with them, but quite a few are just being tossed. GRRR! That means I have only about half that are actually cut the way they are supposed to be!

Well, this quilt will just turn out however big it turns out. But it is so frustrating! I must move my ruler without knowing it.
something you might want to try is after you cut the first piece for a block spray it with basting spray and attach it on the underside of your ruler. Than you can see how to line up the next piece you cut by fitting it in the design of the fabric. It's a pain in the butt but this was the only way I could do them and have them line up correctly. I move a lot too when trying to do the OBW's but this has saved me a lot of re-cutting and rejects pieces.