Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argh: This is why I don't piece

Argh: This is why I don't piece

So in the quilting world, I'm a quilter. That's what I like to do.
    I've recently run out of projects to quilt, so I'm doing some piecing. I decided I really wanted to make a one block wonder. The fabric I picked doesn't seem ideal, but it is looking okay. I did a one strip trial run last night (pictured) and decided to go ahead and do the rest.

This morning I cut the rest of half the fabric (I split it width wise). Piecing them together I find my quarter inch seam is more accurate than I used to be. BUT OMG! I cannot cut. Take the rotary cutter away. Probably a good 20% of my stacks are NOT even close to being equilateral (though I did align them correctly for the OBW, so that's something done right...doesn't matter though). Another 30% are close enough I think I can work with them, but quite a few are just being tossed. GRRR! That means I have only about half that are actually cut the way they are supposed to be!

Well, this quilt will just turn out however big it turns out. But it is so frustrating! I must move my ruler without knowing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You do not move your rulers. It is the gremlins. It is going to turn out really nice. You will see!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I do this all the time. Drives me crazy that no matter how accurate I think I'm being, I'm still way off the mark. But I use it anyway and try to work my way through the wonkiness.
    ~Kala

I think God is trying to teach me patience through these things! I love the fabric BTW!!

If at first you don't succeed try, try again is what I was always taught but that sure play's havoc on my nerves.

I don't think I'd throw them away. Looks like you have a lot of biase edges there. They should stetch a little when you sew them in place and take care of your problem. I'd do a few, iron them, and see how they look. They may look great, and if you still don't like them, you can recut them and just make them a little smaller. No sense in throwing them out.

No matter how try or what method I use, I can never get perfectly cut patches. I can startch until I'm blue in the face, use fancy rulers, whatever, and still they are not perfect.
    Penny

I feel your pain! Been there, way too many times. You could try some of that "non-slip" grip stuff, on your ruler. I have some on one of my rulers (from a long time ago) and although it isn't foolproof, it does seem to help a bit.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

So sorry, but the quilt will be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
    I don't think I'd throw them away. Looks like you have a lot of biase edges there. They should stetch a little when you sew them in place and take care of your problem.
    Oh, no the ones in the picture are okay. The ones that are being thrown away (and by away I mean into the scrap bin) are not even close. I mean WAY off.

Oh, and the fabric is so cheery, it's a shame that you seem to have had to waste some.

You will need some halves to fill in the edges--maybe some you considered as not worthy you could use half for those edges. It is going to be a wonderful quilt not matter the size.
    jackie

I may be wrong, but it looks like you've sewn all 6 pieces together. You don't want to do that! For each stack, sew two sets of 3 together so when you're ready to assemble them you don't have to worry with set-in seams.

I recently read somewhere about using a small piece of that rubbery shelf lining under my ruler. You don't cover the whole underside, just a small piece will do you. I cut a piece about 2 X 3 inches for under my 6 x 12 ruler. It works wonders. You don't glue it on your ruler, just put it down on your fabric, place your ruler and cut.

Great job so far. Use the others to make a pillow, I wouldn't throw them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I may be wrong, but it looks like you've sewn all 6 pieces together. You don't want to do that! For each stack, sew two sets of 3 together so when you're ready to assemble them you don't have to worry with set-in seams.
    No, don't worry- they are only pinned. I don't do Y seams!

The fabric is great. The seams will work out -- when sewing seams that are not quite the same length, put the longer side near the feed dogs. The dogs will help to ease in the extra fabric. For those that you think are "way off" make mug rugs.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    They are looking AWESOME! Keep going.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    no just turn it around til they fit with each other. It's going to be adorable. You can get rulers that don't slide or buy grippers. I use the non-skid shelving cut into strips and put between the ruler and material. Keeps from moving. love the prints.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    no just turn it around til they fit with each other.
    They aren't equilateral. There is no way to tesselate a non-equilateral triangle into a regular hexagon.

I'll just use what does come out right. It will just be smaller than I wanted.

I'm working on cutting the second half of my fabric tonight, and while it appears it is going to be much harder to line up without the selvage edge, hopefully the cutting will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    No, don't worry- they are only pinned. I don't do Y seams!
    Good to know. You pin a lot more neatly than I do.

Blog Entries
    You have the beginning of a beautiful quilt! I, too, have trouble cutting accurately. It takes me forever. I use nonslip on the back of the ruler, starch, and still don't get it right. May you progress better than I!!! :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Started cutting the second half of the fabric. This was much harder to align but I think I did it.

One tip I had read was not to use the truncated edge some 60 degree rulers have. This time I did and my accuracy is MUCH better.

I'm also impressed how fast this is going! I'm sure arranging will take forever though.

Blog Entries
    ght i was the only one with that problem Can't cut straight no matter what I do

Blog Entries
    I have two words for you. Grip Strips. Go to www.guidelines4quilting.com/GripStrips.html

The hand is never as sure as the eye! Keep at it :they will work out.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast