Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arrrgh!!  Sashing--I need your input and ideas >

Arrrgh!! Sashing--I need your input and ideas

Arrrgh!! Sashing--I need your input and ideas

Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Arrrgh!! Sashing--I need your input and ideas

I have been working on this black, red, white sampler top for what seems like ages. It started as a BOM that I joined with my sisters. But that only gave me 12--11 inch (finished) blocks, which did not seem enough for anything. Sooo...I decided to continue using my own fabrics and block designs. I got to 25 and thought, okay that should be enough. But then my DH saw it and asked if it was for our bed. (I've never made one for US!) Well, I am now at 54 unique blocks and, with sashing and borders, that will be big enough for our king sized bed.

My problem is sashing. I have auditioned everything from plain black (blech only the red bordered blocks stood out) white on white (waaay to stark) white with black and red figures (not nearly as easy to find as one would think) and nothing has looked right. My latest idea has been to put a think white border on each block--say 1/4 to 1/2 inch--and then sash in black.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, PLEASE do not be shy--speak right up! I really really want to get this done.

BTW the second photo shows some of the 'different' blocks that I made. I actually hand sewed the hexies. This really is a sampler quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0201-medium-.jpg   dsc_0202-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 AM

This is stunning!! The thin white border and black sashing is perfect and outlines each block, yet brings continuity to the different blocks and unifies the quilt. You have given me a good idea for my own BOM.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I like the black sashing. It makes the blocks pop. You have plenty going on that the block pops but settles. I love it. I'm still trying to come up with something for my youngest son. I have looked at so many that I have become overwhelmed.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I like the thin white accent and then the black sashing. What are you going to do for the borders??
Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Either sashing is nice. Great blocks and it depends on what you would be happier with.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM

I love the thin white, then the black. VERY CREATIVE IDEA. It will be gorgeous.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I really like the narrow white with the black. It works and gives a rich thought out look to the whole quilt.

May I suggest making the white as a flange around each block. It would be easier than trying to piece a 1/4 or 1/2 inch sashing. those narrow strips are harder to make look straight, imho.

You have a very nice quilt in the making.
peace
Old 11-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Exactly right in my opinion- gives a sophisticated, balanced look. I agree with Ube quilting- using a white flange on black sashing 1) is more unique 2) fits with the sophistication 3) will go quicker and 4) will be easier to get sharp straight lines which is important with such a strong contrast as white against black. Your quilt will be stunning! Then it will be on to the master bedroom makeover! Hubby did realize that is what this would lead to didn't he?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Exactly right in my opinion- gives a sophisticated, balanced look. I agree with Ube quilting- using a white flange on black sashing 1) is more unique 2) fits with the sophistication 3) will go quicker and 4) will be easier to get sharp straight lines which is important with such a strong contrast as white against black. Your quilt will be stunning! Then it will be on to the master bedroom makeover! Hubby did realize that is what this would lead to didn't he?
HAHAHA CYBRARIAN That will teach him
Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 AM

I love the thin white and black sashing--looks perfect for your blocks. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!!