Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art quilts? >

Art quilts?

Art quilts?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Here is some expert advise from someone who sells almost everything she makes:
The key to selling quilts at higher prices:
You are not selling to quilters, don't waste your time trying to sell at quilt shows.
Start out small in your town - local gallaries, township buildings, banks, high school gallaries, public buildings, stuff like that, build up your portfolio. Teach in your local quilt shop. Lecture at guilds and sewing machine stores to their machine applique clubs.
Professional pictures only. 5 x 7 for a compact portfolio. Photoshop all backgrounds black. (Consistant)
Have all pictures in a JPEG on your computer in a seperate file, ready to email when needed.
Write a professional letter, wait 6 weeks, call, invite him/her to your house to view the quilts hung. Be energetic (difficult I know) Say yes to everything.
Gallaries don't want large pieces, most of them can't handle them, the biggest I ever put in a gallery is 60" x 60", anything bigger is a commission.
DON'T FORGET: They will want 25-50%of the take. so you will have to mark your work up.
Keep an excell list of the name, size, your price, %, selling price.
One last thing, most gallaries want something different, no country, no cutesy. Get on gallary mailing lists and go to the openings and talk about yourself, have your business cards in your pocket and a pen.
My retirement is made up of all the money I make quilt related.
I am doing pretty good so far. Stay positive and don't ask your friends or husbands what they think of your work. I find they don't say what I want to hear anyway and I get upset.
Look into yourself - you are the creative one, not them.
Ask for the higher price, they can always bargain you down to a price you are happy with.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM

I looked at the price...all I can say is
GASP!!!

Do people actually PAY that much for small
quilts?

Real people?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM

If you want to know more about Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr do and search using their name. You will find a lot of info.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

I have to tell you I am not suprised. The Moses Cone center on the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. sells quilts for just as much. I saw one there for 4000. All have square triangles in blue. No fancy quilting, but it was hand quilted.

A friend had been there the week before and seen one for 7000, he said mine were just a good if not better. Sweet to say as I was just learning.

WOW to think someone might really buy one!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM

We are really undervaluing our work. As soon as I can command that kind of money, I'm quitting my job.

I do know a noted quilt artist who exhibited in Philadelphia and priced her work at $75,000. She spent years tho developing her artistry. I'm still working on mine. Then I'll be famous - and rich - along with the rest of you.:)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I went to a quilt show at the Oregon Gardens last week. Some of the quilts there were pretty pricey, but they were so beautiful, I could understand the price. These aren't that great, and with so many different sizes available, I can't help but think they are mass produced. If that is the case, then why the price?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Thank you for all the good advice. I truly am learning more and more and would love to sell my work.

Emjay
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Would like to stay in touch with you.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Well, I don't get it. I didn't look at them all, but the only one I saw that I did like was Ocean View. All the quilts I've seen on the board would knock any of them out of the water. In my so humble opinion, anyway--even if I am no expert. :P
Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
Well, I don't get it. I didn't look at them all, but the only one I saw that I did like was Ocean View. All the quilts I've seen on the board would knock any of them out of the water. In my so humble opinion, anyway--even if I am no expert. :P
I agree, there are some amazing quilters on this board.