Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art quilts? >

Art quilts?

Art quilts?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 AM

I remember back when I was a young woman, Amish Quilts hand stitched were selling for 1200. Now art quilts are selling in the 4000 range. Then and now the prices are out of my range. But I'm glad to see them priced where they are. I think that a beautifully crafted quilt is an asset that will increase in value if well cared for and it should be priced accordingly. Up the ante ladies.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 AM

I appreciate the replies of Bethy and ggquilter who led me to look at Weeks Ringles' blog http://craftnectar.com/ and not just their website of Fun Quilts. If you go there and read about her profile and her quilt making on her blog, I think you may see how her love of quilting is quite similar to most of us.

I also am a regular reader of Quilting Arts magazine as well as more traditional American Quilter, Quilters World, etc. and purchase many of the Contemporary and Art Quilt books available. I also purchase pieces of Art (prints, watercolors, etc.) and hand crafted earrings within my price range when I like them to support these makers and allow them to brighten my world with talent and crafting. It is not the price I pay (or can afford) but the idea of an original work from their creative mind that warms my heart. I think this is the same feeling some people get when they receive a quilt or purse or some other quilted item from one of us.

I think we are all in this interdependent web of hand crafters when we make something and allow it to be enjoyed by others. I can't imagine a world without Art in its many forms and dimensions! Some of us take different paths, use different materials, have different skills and means of expression. Probably most of us do it for our own expression, not to put a price tag on it.

I am drawn to read this forum for its very wide reach of opinions, suggestions, tips and accomplishments of so many talented people - it fits my varied interest and ability to sew traditional, contemporary and art type quilts, purses, totes, etc. I thank you all for inspiring me!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 AM

I have a star quilt that I use to hang in my office (66X66) that I made from a black line drawing that started out as a diagram in a book of applique. The only information was the outside size and that one of the blocks was 19" square. When I made it I took a blown up copy of the black line drawing and with my protractor and geometry... figured out the exact angle of every piece... (It was a gian pinwheel with stars on the ends)...lots and lots of angles. It took me over three hours to calculate all the angles. The quilt one Best of Theme in our LQS. When students complain about hating math... I tell them (truthfully) that it is not my favorite subject...but I am thankful everyday I had high school geometry -- or I would never have been able to make that quilt! :thumbup:
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 AM

This is such a motivating thread. I love reading it. I had never considered selling a quilt. But maybe that's in my future too.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks for such wonderful information. I learn so much from all of you who share on this board.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM

I finished for a X-mas gift for my mother a hand appliqued and hand quilted lap that was bigger than a lap, but smaller than a twin and thought $1000 was a good value to put on it. That's what I put on it when I insured it for shipping. Now I'm rethinking this.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Does anybody know what exactly is a good way on how to value a quilt?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Fair market value is decided by what equivalent products have sold for within a reasonable length of time.

So research quilts of a like design, using equivalent materials, and of equal workmanship. See what they are selling for and price yours accordingly.

What will increase the price of a product is if it can be classed as art. Then it will depend on how well known the artist is. And what awards the product have won as mentioned earlier. If you want to go into this catagory the easiest way is to hire a publist.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks. Just trying to get it insured was a big deal. UPS only wants to insure for the actual amount of yardage and batting. Was quite an argument!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 PM

I understand. If you want to insure a check they will only insure the paper not the amount of the check.

They are getting crazy.